Autor Tema: Dido  (Leído 65478 veces)

Serena

• Moderador
  • Excelente participación
Dido
« en: Septiembre 02, 2008, 11:34:25 pm »
Se ha filtrado este tema!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9yRyVZpOhg&NR

Dido vuelve con nuevo disco, Safe Trip Home se va a llamar, saldrá a la venta el 3 de Noviembre al menos en Inglaterra, supongo que en el resto de paises será dia arriba dí­a abajo  , el primer sencillo del disco será Don't Believe in Love aunque ya se puede escuchar un adelanto del disco en su página web, se puede descargar gratuitamente la canción Look No Further
« Última modificación: Octubre 17, 2009, 10:40:08 pm por Serena »

Serena

• Moderador
Re: Dido vuelve despues de 5 años!!!
« Respuesta #1 en: Septiembre 06, 2008, 11:15:10 pm »
Un pequeño video en el estudio!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8NjgvkiD-M&NR
« Última modificación: Septiembre 06, 2008, 11:47:27 pm por Serena »

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #2 en: Septiembre 06, 2008, 11:22:15 pm »
La portada!

Y el tracklist!!

1. don't believe in love
2. quiet times
3. never want to say it's love
4. grafton street
5. it comes and it goes
6. look no further
7. us 2 little gods
8. the day before the day
9. let's do the things we normally do
10. burnin love
11. northern skies

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #3 en: Septiembre 06, 2008, 11:36:03 pm »
Comeback ... Dido returns fives years on from Life For Rent

SAFE TRIP HOME - TRACKLIST

1. don't believe in love (3.53)

2. quiet times (3.17)

3. never want to say it's love (3.35)

4. grafton street (5.58)

5. it comes and it goes (3.28)

6. look no further (3.14)

7. us 2 little gods (4.49)

8. the day before the day (4.13)

9. let's do the things we normally do (4.10)

10. burnin love (4:12)

11. northern skies (8:57)

By SIMON COSYNS

Published: 04 Sep 2008

DIDO on Safe Trip Home
“I DON’T want to make a record for the sake of it. I want to make a record when I’ve got something to say.”

On November 3, Dido Florian Cloud de Bounevialle O’Malley Armstrong will prove she has something to say again.

Five years and 35 days on from the release of her second album, Life For Rent, she will unveil Safe Trip Home — eleven songs covering 50 minutes.

It’s a deeply emotional work, reflecting on the death of her beloved Irish father William in 2006, on the overwhelming power of love and on the crushing fear of being alone.

Grafton Street, written with reliably dazzling soundscapist Brian Eno, is one the most touching reflections on the loss of a loved one you’re likely to hear.

“The core of this album is the same as the others,” she says. “When I write and sing songs, I try to put every emotion into them. I hope they move people. That’s only ever been the concept of what I’ve done. For me, feeling alive is feeling some form of emotion.”

In a special SFTW exclusive, we hear not only from the singer, born 36 years ago on Christmas Day, but also her chief collaborators . . . brother Rollo, Jon Brion and Jim Scott.

Dreamy
We also bring you a preview of five key tracks and a full tracklist, from the sultry vocals and rhythmic groove of Don’t Believe In Love (the first single) to the serene nine-minute finale Northern Skies.

Dido says: “One of the things I wanted to do this time is just go with something and trust a lot of my first instincts.”

And, of course, the long gap between records makes Safe Trip Home the year’s most anticipated release.

The musical map has been redrawn in Dido’s absence by a new wave of girl singers such as Duffy, Adele and Kate Nash. Let’s not forget, too, the impact of the queen of retro, Amy Winehouse.

So, can Dido repeat the phenomenal success of No Angel and Life For Rent, both commanding sales of around three million copies in the UK alone? Can her smooth vocals set to dreamy orchestrations and subtle beats return her to the top of the pile?

Are there enough songs to match the memorable hit singles: White Flag, Life For Rent’s title track, Here With Me and Thank You?

The answer is that she has more than a fighting chance. Safe Trip Home is a beautifully crafted song-cycle with enough hooks to keep listeners and radio stations enthralled.

I sense that despite the pressure to deliver a third monster success, Dido has made the record she wanted under her own terms.

“This record has been very much about thinking, ‘Who do I really, really like? Who do I really wanna work with?’ And doing that,” she affirms.

Chief among her allies is Los Angeles-based songwriter, producer and multi-instrumentalist Jon Brion and it is clear enormous attention to detail was paid to get the album just right.

“The effort that’s gone into some of the sounds on the record would possibly make me look like the biggest nerd in the world,” she says.

“Instead of actually playing a keyboard, Jon might have played 32 components to make up a keyboard sound. We’d use a horn section or a whole orchestra or a wind section.

In the studio ... Dido
“We did some really interesting things. On Northern Skies, we slowed the track down massively and got them (the orchestra) to play some quite crazy stuff which made great keyboard sounds.”

An ever-present in Dido’s musical journey has been elder brother Rollo, the producer and remix maestro best known for his work in dance sensations Faithless. His new production company Ark co-produced the album with Jon and Dido.

Of Safe Trip Home, Rollo says: “The lyrics are so important. I think there’s never any pretention with the lyrics on a Dido record.

“They’re supposed to say what they mean but in a way that’s not clichíéd.

“The key to her records is the idea that it goes from Dido to the listener in the most straightforward, honest, quick way. It’s like emotional A to B with as little interference as possible from me as a producer, with no trickery. I think both of us have the same kind of musical heritage, growing up in the same house etc. Both of us love music that moves us.”

For Jon Brion, who’s also worked with Kanye West, Keane and Fiona Apple, the creation of the album enabled him to watch Dido grow as a musician.

Piano
“She doesn’t have to conscientiously go out to carve her own space. She’s an individual. If she just goes about being herself, she’s fine,” he says.

“She’s taken time out to learn to play drums, to really work on her piano and guitar playing, to learn about engineering, to master every aspect of her job. Her touch on the piano is stunning.”

The recording was split between Jon’s home studio in LA and the famed Abbey Road Studios in London where The Beatles created their sonic masterpieces. Jon says: “At Abbey Road, there’s this beautiful, very delicate, soft-sounding old piano. Dido asked me to teach her the chords and she went down and, in two takes, absolutely murdered the piano.”

And Jim Scott, who previously worked on albums by Johnny Cash, Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers, adds: “Dido is totally unique in my experience.

“I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I’ve never had an artist go out and play the guitar, play the piano, play the drums, sing the vocal, write the songs and do it all so flowingly, effortlessly and beautifully.

“It’s really an interesting treat to watch her float through her day and do her work.”

Advertisement

So welcome back, Dido. One in five UK households owns one of your records. Safe Trip Home is guaranteed a safe trip into our hearts.

Here we focus on five of the new songs:

DON’T BELIEVE IN LOVE: “I want to go to bed with arms around me but wake up on my own.”

The first line of the first song on the first Dido album for five years.

It ushers in a wistful, mid-tempo performance that bears the old Dido knack of getting under your skin.

The slinky beats and tasteful orchestration set the tone for the album. Already slated for a late October single release, it’s a track that reveals its subtle pleasures bit by bit.

GRAFTON STREET: With its mournful Celtic feel, this could possibly be Dido’s greatest song. Co-written with Brian Eno (U2, Coldplay, etc), it’s a heartfelt lament for her late father, brushed with contemporary atmospherics but rooted in tradition.

It stretches to nearly six minutes and her performance on the recorder as the track ebbs to a close truly summons the spirit of the Emerald Isle.

LOOK NO FURTHER: Already downloaded for free once every 1.2 seconds from didomusic.com/looknofurther during its first three days, this is an ideal taster for listeners counting the days till the full album release.

BURNIN’ LOVE: Wispy acoustic guitar paves the way for a gem of a love song. She’s joined by multi-talented US musician Citizen Cope, who offers exquisite harmonies and a snatch of lead vocals.

NORTHERN SKIES: “For once there was beauty here for me under the wide Northern Skies.” An ambitious, slow-paced nine minutes of pastoral loveliness — confirmation this album retains quality all the way to its end.

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #4 en: Septiembre 09, 2008, 11:31:12 pm »
El single!!

Don't believe in love

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToBII382OCc

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #5 en: Septiembre 13, 2008, 11:27:10 pm »

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #6 en: Septiembre 15, 2008, 11:45:32 pm »
We're still looking for more of your questions for Dido. If there's something you'd like to know, please email it to askdido@didomusic.com (don't post it below) - the best, most original ones will be answered by Dido soon.

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #7 en: Septiembre 15, 2008, 11:47:16 pm »
Mon 15th Sep, 2008
We thought you might like to know that the video for Dido's new single, Don't Believe In Love, is set to be filmed in LA this week. It will be directed by AlexandLiane, a duo who have previously made videos for Scissor Sisters, The Ting Tings, Bloc Party, Sam Sparro and Armand Van Helden.

Look out for more news on the video soon.

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #8 en: Septiembre 16, 2008, 11:30:44 pm »

New single on 90210 in US tonight
Tue 16th Sep, 2008
Those of you in the US of A will be able to hear Dido's new single, Don't Believe In Love, on tonight's episode of 90210, which airs on The CW at 8/7C.

Apparently tonight's show concerns a school musical, a mistress, a bad date and a broken marriage. Sounds intriguing.

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #9 en: Septiembre 17, 2008, 11:48:27 pm »
En el estudio 3

We've just added the third and final part of the Safe Trip Home studio film to the player. Check it out to hear Dido talking more about the album and to see footage of the orchestra recording their parts.

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #10 en: Septiembre 24, 2008, 11:20:59 pm »
Wed 24th Sep, 2008
It was announced today that the new Record of the Week on BBC Radio 2 is Dido's new single, Don't Believe In Love. Click here for more info (and, indeed, to listen to the station online).

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #11 en: Septiembre 25, 2008, 11:42:58 pm »

Don't Believe In Love artwork revealed
Thu 25th Sep, 2008
We thought you might like to see the artwork for the first single from Safe Trip Home, which we've literally just received from the record label.

Don't Believe In Love is set to be released as a download on 26 October and on CD format on 27 October.

Have you heard the track on the radio where you live? If so, let us know in the comments below. For starters, we can reveal that one of the team from Dido HQ heard it on Greek radio last night...

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #12 en: Septiembre 26, 2008, 11:23:53 pm »

Number One in Italy!
Fri 26th Sep, 2008
Although it's not out in the UK until October 26th, Dido's new single, Don't Believe In Love, has already been released for download in Spain and Italy. It's currently sitting at Number 2 in the Spanish iTunes chart and Number 1 in the Italian iTunes chart. Amazing!

If you're in either of those countries, click the links below to download the single from iTunes now...

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #13 en: Septiembre 29, 2008, 11:02:39 pm »

A new picture
Mon 29th Sep, 2008
We thought you might like to see this brand new picture of Dido, taken by photographer Kayt Jones.

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #14 en: Septiembre 30, 2008, 11:28:26 pm »
Dido - Safe Trip Home

Safe Trip Home is the warm, moving and wonderfully musical third album from Dido, the London-born singer-songwriter with the cracked-crystal voice. The first, you might remember, was No Angel, a record made when Dido was a part-time backing singer with a tiny budget and no label. When that record's heartfelt snap-shots of life were released in 1999, nobody, least of all Dido, expected the album to eventually become the planet's biggest seller of 2001. The similarly affecting follow-up, 2003's Life For Rent, also burrowed its way into millions of hearts, hitting number one in 26 countries and lighting up the airwaves in many more. By the time Dido had toured that record around the world, she was ready for a bit of a breather.

"It was a whirlwind," she says. "When I got back from touring early in 2005, it took a while just to take in what had happened. I was so unprepared for it. As far as I was concerned I was making this little underground record for me to listen to and then, suddenly, eight years later I was getting off this incredible speeding train. I'd had an amazing time, but I guess I needed to take a step back, reconnect with normal life and bring the focus 100 percent back to music."

Although she disappeared from view, Dido took very little time off from music. However, rather than immediately starting to write new songs, she threw herself into playing, whether it be her music or others people's. "I wanted to take some time to become a better musician," she explains. "For the first two albums, any playing I'd done had been used purely for songwriting, which is very different from just playing for fun, like I had as a child. So I spent a lot of time just picking up instruments for playing's sake again. I loved it."

Dido had inadvertently set the tone for Safe Trip Home, a record whose smouldering, soulful songs were to eventually feature her playing guitar, piano, bells and the trusty old recorder she'd toured Europe with as a prodigious pupil of London's Guildhall School of Music. She's even responsible for some of the album's drums (most notably on the sumptuously melancholy Quiet Times).

When Dido met up with producer, Jon Brion (Fiona Apple, Kayne West, Rufus Wainwright, Eels) at London's Abbey Road studios towards the end of 2005, he was blown away by her musicianship. "I realised she had this beautiful feel for playing from the first day I met her," he says. "In fact, if there's anything I'm particularly proud of with this record, it's encouraging Dido to play more instruments. When she plays drums, her groove is magnificent. And her touch on piano is absolutely stunning."

"Jon persuaded me to go out to LA and do some writing," says Dido. "We had this brilliant few weeks working together. It felt like I could try anything I wanted, with whatever instrument I wanted. That was really the start of the album." Songs like the sensuous Never Want To Say It's Love and the string-soaked Let's Do The Things We Normally Do were two of several tracks to emerge from those productive sessions.

Buoyed by that initial progress, Dido decided to relocate to LA for a while to continue working with Brion on the album. It was a city ripe with opportunities, whether that be the potential for long drives into the desert listening to music, the amazing vocal sound in Brion's broom cupboard, the chance to get Citizen Cope in to sing on the gorgeous Burnin Love, or the fact that Dido's favourite drummer Mick Fleetwood was on hand to play on Grafton Street, the plaintive album highlight she'd written with another inspiration, Brian Eno.

"I wasn't actually a big fan of LA before," she admits, "but it turned out to be an amazing place to follow through an idea and keep going without anyone saying you're being completely ridiculous. It's a city built on imagination, story-telling and creativity. Plus, everyone seems to go to bed at 9pm, so I'd get a lot done at night."

Dido's musical experimentation also extended to learning more about the actual mechanics of recording. "I was very impressed by that," says Brion. "It would be a very easy life for her to allow people to make stuff for her to sing on and I think it's more than a little bit admirable that she is so inquisitive about everything. She learned a ton about engineering, about arranging, about mastering, about the construction of music. She even went and took some music courses at UCLA. This is not the thing the average person who's just looking to crank it out does."

Indeed, rather than rushing to get the album done, Dido was happy to take her time. "I didn't really feel any urgency to stop writing," she says. "In fact, when I'd finished all the stuff with Jon in LA, I came back to England and realised I really wanted to start using all the things I'd learned there. So I sat down at my kitchen table with my laptop and a microphone and just started writing and recording, using a new computer programme I'd got. I ended up with a whole load more songs."

One afternoon, Dido's brother Rollo, who co-wrote and co-produced her first two albums, came round for tea, so she played him a bunch of the new songs. "He got really excited about them, so we decided to go into the studio with them. But a lot of the recordings on the album actually came from that time in my kitchen. If you listen closely, you can hear my neighbours drilling or the rain pelting down outside."

"I really think this album has benefitted from its gestation period," says Rollo. "I think Dido has gone on a musical journey with it. She'd ring me from LA and say, "I'm recording vocals in an echo chamber!" or "we're busy reversing 200 strings we just recorded!". She was obviously having so much fun. But, for all that, the songs on this album still channel Dido's amazing ability to move people with melodies and lyrics. There's never any pretension on a Dido record. I think the words supposed to say what they mean but in a way that's not cliched."

"Frankly, I don't believe what most people are singing about when I hear their records," says Brion. "I hear, 'I want attention, I want to be famous, I want you to think I'm smart'. But with Dido, I know she isn't kidding. I hear her in her lyrics. Take away any preconceptions and you'll hear that her words are a hotbed of truth. It's no surprise to me that so many people all over the world have connected with her."

Dido's softly-expressed thoughts, parables, feelings, hopes and concerns flow unfettered from Safe Trip Home. It is a record of love and loss, strength and surrender, highs and lows. And, as with her previous two albums, Dido shows an astonishing knack for extracting life's universals from its little details. "Dido bares her heart in her music in a way that she doesn't in any other public domain," says Rollo. "I think the key with her records is the idea that it all goes from Dido to the listener in the most straightforward, emotionally honest way. It's like an emotional A to B with as little interference from me as a producer."

"I still manage to get into this headspace when I'm writing where I completely forget that anyone's going to hear the songs," admits Dido. I don't really draw any limits for what I put in the songs, emotionally. Some of these songs are about general themes and some are about other people's lives, but some are specific and personal to me. Maybe I leave myself exposed, but I find it hard to do anything that isn't emotional or doesn't move me in some way. by not explaining my lyrics to people , it actually gives me the freedom to express myself without limits in the songs."

That, as much as anything, is what makes Safe Trip Home such a rewarding listen. "This album is full of the joy of making music," says Dido. "The process of making it has been a wonderful experience, something to totally cherish. I've put every emotion into these songs. And now I just really hope they move people."

It's hard to imagine that they won't.