INICIO FOROS ÍNDICES DIVISAS MATERIAS PRIMAS CALENDARIO ECONÓMICO

Autor Tema: Anette Olsson  (Leído 48777 veces)

Serena

• Moderador
  • Excelente participación
Re: Anette Olsson
« Respuesta #45 en: Febrero 24, 2014, 04:23:08 pm »
For those who don’t pick their fruit from the tree of symphonic rock, the first question will likely be ‘who?’, aficionados will be well aware that Ms Olzon is the revered ex-vocalist of Finnish symphonic rockers Nightwish.  Now, before those who think the genre somewhat overblown and becoming increasingly moribund switch off, read on – because Shine is, in fact, a rather delightful surprise.

Because while Anette’s symphonic roots are never too far below the surface, she’s taken the genre, captured its essence and then and turned it completely on its head delivering what she describes as a ‘pop rock’ or ‘pop metal’ album.

Pop rock is probably the more apt description because although there’s metal undertones it’s a velvet gloved delivery – the power coming from the subtle use of keyboards, strings and percussion rather than guitars turned up to 11.  And the title track is the perfect example – as weighty and hard hitting as John Grant, but with one of the tastiest hooks you’ll hear this year.

And that’s not by chance when you look at the collaborators who’ve contributed to Shine – some of the most successful rock and pop teams in Scandinavia – Anders Bagge, jury member of Sweden’s Idols (and producer of luminaries like Madonna, Cíéline Dion and Jennifer Lopez) and his songwriter team of Stefan í–rn (songwriter and producer of the 2011 Eurovision Song Contest winning track Running Scared) and Johan Glí¶ssner.  That’s not to say the album isn’t Olzon’s own work, but she’s been astute enough to bring on board those with the skills to polish her ideas into a set of shimmering gems.

The result is one of the best pop/rock albums you’ll hear this year – one that that has the playfulness of early Kate Bush, the pop sensibilities of Music-era Madonna, and even a vague whiff of Magenta.  And, of course, subtle symphonic undertones.

But the centre piece is the Swede’s gossamer-like vocals floated on some sparkling arrangements on a set that Nightwish fans may see that as some sort of ‘sell out’.  But in truth it’s a triumph and an album that, that with a little exposure could easily see Anette Olzon usurp her former colleagues’ pop-ularity.

It’s nice to hear someone take a chance with something just a little bit different.  And to pull it off with such aplomb.  A sure contender for album of the year.  *****

Review by Pete Whalley

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #46 en: Febrero 25, 2014, 07:12:26 pm »

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #47 en: Marzo 04, 2014, 04:20:13 pm »
ANETTE OLZON
Text Janne Mattsson, Photo Patric Ullaeus/Revolver

One day she was in the middle of a successful USA tour. The next, Anette Olzon was sitting in a plane going home to Sweden, thrown out and replaced by another singer. One and a half years after the break with Nightwish, it's time for a solo career.
"It was important to have is i magen. At the same time, I was afraid people would forget about me."

You have stayed out of the spotlight since you and Nightwish went separate ways in the autumn of 2012. Why?

"I needed a timeout" says Anette Olzon. Mine and Nightwish's divorce was pretty hard, something that I was very sad about. I also had a child during that same time, so it wasn't really that strange that I took a little paus."

It isn't so that Nightwish in any way have prevented you from speaking to the press by for example a contract?

"No, absolutely not. I wouldn't sign such a contract. They probably would have wanted me to, but I didn't. But I didn't want to do a bunch of interviews with me just telling about how hard it has been. In an early stage, I felt that it is better to wait with meeting the press until I had finished the album. In that way I can now talk about both parts, both the good and the bad."

What was it that happened with the latest Nightwish DVD "Showtime, Storytime" (2013)? Why did you forbid them from including you in it?

"I didn't think there was any reason for them to have me in it, when they had anyway replaced me with another singer. It just felt pretty silly actually. Also during last year I have gotten so damn much crap from some fans of the band, that I am so much worse than Tarja (Turunen). The same fans have had this "Anette vs Tarja" thing during all these years. Then it would just be an even bigger thing with this DVD: "Here's Anette and now there's Floor Jansen instead". I know that Floor is very loved by the metal fans and I am not stupid. The way we parted ways was also a reason I wasn't so very positive towards the guys in the band. Sure, the said I would get to watch the documentary before, and approve the whole thing, but I didn't really trust them. I was thinking of how they got rid of Tarja. In retrospect it resulted in the pretty ugly documentary "A day before tomorrow" (2006). I did not want that to happen to me. I understand that fans who appreciate my time in the band maybe are disappointed, but on youtube there are many good videos from my time in the band."

When I interviewed keyboardist Tuomas Holopainen in SRM issue 10/2013 he said something different, that you are not enemies and still on good terms.

"Yeah, of course you could say that, and surely it sounds much better than to say that maybe you have behaved a bit badly towards a band member. But that's not true, that is just something that he has made up. The truth is none other than that I was replaced before I had even had time to leave the tour and I haven't spoken to any of them since the day I flew home from USA (Anette's last gig with Nightwish was in Salt Lake City 29th of September 2012). We haven't even made a proper end or said goodbye to each other. All contact has been between our lawyers. I understand why he says that. I had probably done the same in his position, because it doesn't look good when you can't keep your female singers. During my years in the band I did my best to try to get them to communicate and solve conflicts. But their solution is to remove the problems instead of trying to solve them. In the end it was four against one. I wish we could sit down and make an end, sort out what happened and ask forgiveness from each other. I have probably things to ask forgiveness for as well. That it turned out like this... We were after all really good friends once."

What may the problems have been caused by?

"Partly I think it's because we are from two different countries. The cultural differences and language barriers are greater than you could think, which makes the whole thing very difficult. They know very much Swedish, but they absolutely don't want to speak Swedish which means that it's mainly English that's the language. Irony is one thing that can easily be mis interpretated in English, which canmean that things don't flow as easy as they should. Also I think they were a bit traumatized by the thing with Tarja. They were probably a bit insecure of what I would be like and if I would become like Tarja. I on the other hand was very insecure of if I also would get fired. That I was afraid of during all the years. Then when I got my own manager I guess they probably absolutely thought it would be the same thing like with Tarja - which it didn't. But a lot has absolutely been about the communication. Swedish as I am at first I tried to have meetings with them every week but I was the only one talking. With time, it also became clear that I was a little bit older and had children to think about. Some shows I think we shouldn't have done, when we lost instead of earned money from them. Such a big band shouldn't have to lose money. But they thought those gigs could be fun to do, in that they already had really much money in a buffer since before that they could live from. Something I didn't have, I, who basically am just a common worker while Nightwish is a big company. So sure, we had many discussions about money also. If I had entered their company in Finland, maybe it would have been different, but I didn't. Musically however, we didn't have any problems. There the cooperation worked incredibly well."

What will you take with you from the time in Nightwish?

"I got myself very much scene routine by doing such big shows. We did after all play in front of both 60 000 and 70 000 people. Such things undoubtedly give you stage routine. Then, of course also how the music business looks like today - both the positive and the negative. It has made me both tougher and given me more skinn pí¥ ní¤san."

Your debut album "Shine" is neither melodic AOR like Alyson Avenue, which you left 2007, nor bombastic metal like Nightwish, but a lot more muted and cozy. Is this more you?

"I actually think so. I tried to sit down and write speedy songs for "Shine" but I couldn't do it. How I tried, I didn't get it right. Now during the summer I tried to make more metal-ish songs together with Martijn Spierenburg (keyboard, Within Temptation) and Fredrik Berg (keyboard, Bloodbound, Street Talk). I hummed some melodies into Garageband which I then sent to Fredrik, who worked further with them. I also asked them to send ideas to me, so we were passing ideas between each other over the internet. But in the end that material didn't feel as right as the material I already had. Therefore I kept the songs that Stefan, Johan and I wrote already in 2009. But the song "One Million Faces" actually turned out so great that it is on the album anyway."

Who are Stefan and Johan?

"In 2009 I and my manager contacted Anders Bagge. I thought he seemed like a symphatic person, and I have heard he wrote a lot of good music. Stefan í–rn and Johan Glí¶ssner are in his songwriter team. It turned out that we three played and wrote the songs together during a couple of intense weeks. Together we ended up with this softer side that I show on this album. We found a comfortable range that sounded very good and decided to stay there. In Nightwish Tuomas wanted all the time for me to sing in a very high vocal range. In the studio that was never a problem, but live it was incredibly demanding. To sing for 90 minutes was as demanding as a class of physical training. If I was even just a little bit sick, it affected the vocals immediately. That's not how I want it on my album. These songs I'll do justice and perform without problem, even if I have a bit of a cold."

"When I started to plan for a solo album in 2009 it was also very sensitive from the label and the band's point of view whether it would sound too much like Nightwish. The risk existed then that the album would in any way compete witv Nightwish. It could absolutely not be that way. Therefore the music early on took this direction. The idea was that I shoukd be able to sit and sing these songs for example underneath a crystal chandelier in a lounge, more simple and intimate so to say. But now that I'm no longer part of the band, and on my own, it doesn't matter if I compete with them. Therefore there are a little bit more guitars on the album than was intended at first."

During your break, you must have been approached with many offers from other bands and projects?

"Yes, actually I have, and I am very proud. But because I have been in the middle of making a record deal, something that took its time, I couldn't just say yes to anything. It can have been for example requests from competing record companies. There was one thing that I really wanted to do, but when the request came, it wasn't possible. But I hope it will happen in the future. Then there have been a lot of suggestions for things I absolutely didn't want to do. Because I have all the time known that "Shine" would be released, it was important to have is i magen. At the same time I was afraid people would maybe forget me. But judging by the positive reactions to the song "Falling" that the record company early on released on iTunes, things seem to be going well."

If Brother Firetribe were to contact you and ask you to do guest vocals again, how would you react? Considering the guitar player of Nightwish is also in that band.

"I can say like this, even if there were four against one maybe that doesn't have to mean that all four thought the same thing. But sometimes it can be so that you have to look out for yourself and your own being and surviving in the band. Emppu was my very best friend in the band and I have all the time said that I want to talk about things, not pretend like it's raining. I don't hold grudges, everyone should know that. I have moved on and if they contact me, we'll see what happens."

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #48 en: Marzo 07, 2014, 04:30:48 pm »
The much anticipated debut solo album from Anette Olzon is finally here. Of course Anette was previously the lead singer for a little band called Nightwish for two albums and prior to that she fronted the AOR band Alyson Avenue. She started working on this solo album while she was a member of Nightwish, so it has been several years in the making. Not knowing what to expect, I was quite excited when this album came my way  having been a fan of her work with Nightwish and Alyson Avenue. Would she continue the musical path set forth by Nightwish or revisit her AOR roots ala Alyson Avenue? The answer is neither. On her debut album “Shine”, Anette Olzon presents a more organic, earthy musical direction.

“Like a Show Inside My Head” is first on the agenda and has a classical, symphonic vibe. Next up is the poppish “Shine” which is followed by the haunting “Floating”. The album picks up the pace and tempo for the track “Lies”. Other highlights include: “Invincible”, “Hear Me” and “Watching Me From Afar” to name a few.

I wouldn’t really call “Shine” a metal record but it does have energy and passion, it’s just focused in a different direction. Say what you want about Anette Olzon (and people will), but you have to give her credit for doing something different from what fans may expect, and still making it good and a worthwhile listen. And besides that, she’s got a killer voice and that is absolutely reinforced on “Shine”.

Rating – 88/100

Tracklist
Like A Show Inside My Head
Shine
Floating
Lies
Invincible
Hear Me
Falling
Moving Away
One Million Faces
Watching Me From Afar

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #49 en: Marzo 10, 2014, 04:15:12 pm »

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #50 en: Marzo 12, 2014, 04:19:01 pm »
Entrevista Braveword

"I am so thrilled to finally release my first solo album,” says Anette Olzon. “I’ve been working on it for a long time by now... The album is very personal with songs I have started writing already in 2009 but also very recent songs. The overall message of the album is that life can be really dark and filled with hardship and sadness, but you can always choose to see some light coming through, to make you stronger and full of life - making you SHINE... no matter what."

And what about the musical direction? “In the end, it is a rock album,” says Anette. “Well, a pop rock album maybe, or would you call it pop metal?” We have heard this one before, didn’t we?

Whether we can define Shine a metal album, rock, pop or “pop rock” what would be hard to miss is how strong the songs are and what an extraordinary album it is. It exceptionally masters the borders between melancholy and hope, between fragility and power, because it showcases an artist who doesn't rest on her laurels but heads boldly into the future. Because it shines.

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #51 en: Marzo 13, 2014, 10:22:30 pm »
The end of March 2014 will finally see the release of Anette Olzon's long-awaited debut solo record, 'Shine'. A pleasingly diverse blend of pop, rock, metal, classical and folk, it contains ten melodically sublime compositions with a heartfelt, emotionally-charged vocal performance that finally allows the Swedish singer to showcase the full range and strength of her voice. So a year and a half after her untimely exit from Nightwish, it seems she is indeed all set to shine in her new career as a solo artist. Ahead of the album's release, Metal Discovery spent a most pleasant twenty minutes on the phone with Anette as she chatted away candidly and effervescently about the record and her fresh start...

METAL DISCOVERY: Fine, thanks. How you doing?
ANETTE: Hi, how are you?

ANETTE: Fine, thank you.

MD: How’s your day going now? I read about your pram troubles earlier in your blog.

ANETTE: Yeah, I’ve had a shitty day. You know when it just starts in a bad way, and I started in a really bad mood, but now I’m better… [laughs]

MD: Heeey! It’s the start of the week so it can only get better from now on.

ANETTE: Yeah, and I mean, Mondays are like that but I was so into going out, and I had all the kids with me and everything, and then the pram doesn’t work, and you’re like, “what the hell?” But I think it was some dirt in the wheel so it was stuck. It will work tomorrow! [laughs]

MD: I’ve been blown away by your new album, ‘Shine’… it really does shine in so many different ways!

ANETTE: Thank you!

MD: I gather all the songs, apart from one, were written back in 2009 when you had some downtime from Nightwish?

ANETTE: Exactly, exactly, in-between tours.

MD: So how good does it feel to actually get the album out there now after so many years of waiting?

ANETTE: It’s wonderful and, in a way, you’ve heard the songs for so many years so you’re like, “aha, here we go”… but, at the same time, when we mixed them, we did some new stuff to them and, of course, I did the backing vocals and some new elements, so they are like fresh new songs. And I was quite frustrated when I couldn’t get them out before because the plan was for 2010, so it was a bit of a delay. But still, you know, I think it was for a good reason. They were meant to come out now, I guess… [laughs]

MD: Yeah, and obviously worth waiting for as well!

ANETTE: Yeah!

MD: It’s quite a diverse album as well with all the different instrumentations because you’ve got elements of metal, rock, pop, classical and even a bit of folk in there. Obviously at the centre of all that are some very powerful songs so rather than set out to make a genre record, was genre secondary? Like, did you start out with the songs and then flavour them with all the different styles?

ANETTE: Yeah. And, I mean, when we did the songs, as I said, in 2009 I was still in Nightwish so the main thing was that I couldn’t compete with my own band. That was the first thing I said to the boys, when I sat down with my songwriters. So we did ‘Falling’ and that was a bit in the same feeling as Nightwish and rock, of course. So then I felt, no, this is too rocky so we have to change it. And then we started doing ‘Floating’ and stuff, so it came out to be something totally different. Then, of course, when things changed and I wasn’t in the band anymore, we had some more freedom to put some more strings and element into it, and guitars. Because I think if I had released it in 2010, it would have been less guitars; I’m quite sure. And, also, I was signed to a rockier label – you have to attract some of those fans too. And I think it’s good because you have to keep your fans and show them that you still do the same kind of style in a way. I mean, not the same style but that you’re still there. But, then, if you want to do a little bit in the other direction, you can maybe do it on the second or third album. We’ll see where I evolve from this one... [laughs]

MD: In terms of the lyrics it strikes me as a very personal album, so did you have any apprehensions about making yourself so emotionally bare in the songs?

ANETTE: I think it just came naturally. I’ve done some lyrics and stuff when I was younger, at the age of 20 in my former band, and then I was writing a lot of melancholic stuff. I always tend to write better when I’m in a sadder mood - I don’t know why, we are all different. So that album, I was quite tired after the long tour and all these things that have happened, and being in a big band, and doing all those new things. I think I just had to get everything out. And then it started to be personal, of course, even if not every single word is personal but, of course, it’s from my life. And I think it was good; it’s some kind of healing process too when you write down the things you have inside, even if it’s from your childhood or whatever. And I think the next album might be more positive, you never know. It depends on how you are but, at that time, I was quite exhausted and tired from the whole touring of ‘Dark Passion Play’, which was a huge tour. So maybe that’s why they were a bit more melancholic, in a way… [laughs]

MD: You mentioned healing through writing so was it a cathartic experience when capturing some of those personal experiences and emotions in your music?

ANETTE: Yeah, I think so. And I think, you know, I’m also that kind of person. I’m very open and talkative with people and you can easily get to know me, but I have a big integrity when it comes to how I feel deep inside… I’m quite a positive person when you meet me because I don’t want to sit down and moan about negative stuff. I only show that side to the very closest people around me so, of course, I need to get it out in something. And I think the lyrics and writing it down is really good because, even if it’s personal, I’m not talking to you about it directly; I can write it in the lyrics. And people can interpret them as they want. I think it’s a good way; it’s like writing a book, in a way, to get it out of your system.

MD: I guess like any kind of art form, like painting, music or writing a book, like you say, it’s all about expressing your emotions in different ways. So art is a good medium for doing that.

ANETTE: Yeah, it is.

MD: Obviously, you made two incredible albums with Nigtwish although your vocals throughout this one are even more heartfelt and intense with a lot more emotional depth. So did that come quite naturally through singing about such personal subjects?

ANETTE: Yeah, I think it did and it is easier to implement singing and your emotions in your own songs, I guess. It feels like that. I mean, I have been singing other people’s music mostly, and it was something different when you got in and sang these songs because, of course, if you write about something personal, like some family or something, of course it’s something that will reach down to your heart and it will be easier to express that. I think it was mainly because it was my own songs coming out.

MD: You get to showcase the full range of your voice too, on the album. I think ‘Lies’ is a good example of that because you have the low-end of your voice on the verse, and the high-end in the chorus. So did you feel you had a lot more creative freedom where your voice could really flourish on this album, more so than singing in Nightwish?

ANETTE: Yeah, I mean, because here, we started from my voice. It was the first thing we did, like, sit down, I sang and they played around it. And then, also, Johan and Stefan who I wrote the songs with, are really good because they could hear where I sounded the best. It’s sometimes good to have someone else listening and they were like, “hmmm, I think this should be higher here.” And then, of course, when I went in to do the songs with all the emotions, like ‘Lies’ for instance, those lead vocals are the demo vocals. Almost all of the songs are lead vocals from the demo recording where we just went in, I did it, and it was like, “boom”. And I think that was also why it was so emotional because it was the first time I went in and sang those songs. I know Cíéline Dion said once, I don’t know if she still does that, but when she was going to record something she didn’t want to sing them too many times because she wanted to have the fresh feeling. And I think it’s the same with me because, with Nightwish, the ‘Imaginaerum’ album, when we came to record the demo, that was the first time I sang them and they sounded so good, you know, with the voice and everything, both me and Marco. And then when we went to do the actual album some months later, Tuomas was like, “it doesn’t sound the same, it’s not as good as it was.” And that’s the thing, I think, because sometimes when you go in and sing something that needs to be emotional, you are the best when you do it the first time. You start to struggle with it, you know, thirty times, take after take after take… that emotional thing will just go away. So, I think, mainly because it was also very few takes and, of course, as you say, we can put the songs where I feel the best; where it suits me.

MD: Yeah, definitely. Also with ‘Lies’, since the video’s been released, I’ve read some comments online where people seem to think it’s about your exit from Nightwish. Did you kind of anticipate that misinterpretation?

ANETTE: Yeah and I mean, first of all, I didn’t think this was going to be the first single; it was the record label who chose it. I thought it was going to be ‘Shine’, actually. So when I was thinking about the video and the single, I thought about ‘Shine’ and then I had to implement it on ‘Lies’. But, of course, in a way, I can see that it’s also… but, I don’t know… for me, personally, the lyrics could be about that, but I know it’s all about my own divorce and the feelings you have. But, of course, what I can say is that it doesn’t matter what kind of relationship is ending, it can be the same feelings, you know. And what we had is just lost, and what we said were only lies because we couldn’t keep them. We said we were gonna be married until we died and, you know, that’s what I mean, in a way, with the lies. And, of course, another relationship where you say, “we’re always gonna be in a band together, we’re gonna be friends”, and then you’re not. So, I mean, you could implement them in that way too and any relationship, of course, that happens in life where you go separate ways.

MD: Exactly, and I’ve heard so many artists compare divorcing a band to divorcing a spouse so I guess it’s naturally related anyway, although one of those divorces is a lot more public than the other one.

ANETTE: Yeah and, I mean, in a band it is like a family because you live in a bus, you get to see all the good and bad sides from each other, and that’s only family. I mean, that’s what I said before, only my closest family and friends will know how I am when I’m myself. When I’m out there, I’m not the same person in a way because you don’t show your worst side, but in a band you do – they will see you in the morning, they will see you in the evening, they will see you when you’re ill, they will see you when you’re tired, when you’re drunk. So, in a way, when you then end that thing, you have been so personal with the people that it is like a big family, and it is like a divorce in that way.

MD: I guess so. And ‘Lies’ is such an upbeat and positive sounding song so I presume the main message is nothing to do with self-pity; it’s more about optimism and becoming emotionally stronger from a bad experience?

ANETTE: Yeah, and always in a divorce, even if it’s one person who finally says, “enough now, I don’t want to do this anymore”, normally it’s two people, if there’s no cheating and stuff, who can see the marriage is not going in the direction you want to. But then it can be one person who takes the step and the other one can be a bit more like, “oh, he or she left me”, but it’s still two people who couldn’t make it happen. It’s the same with a band; it was like a group of people who couldn’t make it happen but someone took the decision and said, “enough now”. So, I mean, it’s a positive thing because then you have to move on, for sure, but I think it’s good to get it out of your system… [laughs]… either way… [laughs]

MD: Definitely! I guess with the album as a whole, as well, the central theme is a statement of optimisim and emotional resilience, which is, I presume, why you chose the track ‘Shine’ for the album title? Despite some melancholy, as you previously said, the album does strike me as having a very optimistic outlook as a whole.

ANETTE: Yeah, I mean, there are also some love songs on it so it’s not all about just gloom. So there are some love songs and ‘Shine’ is about keeping strong when things do hit you in the face, or if people are mean, like if you’re bullied at school… and since I have been bullied at school, it was kind of a song about that. Even if things go against you and you have harder times, which we all have in many ways and people will treat you badly, then you just can say, “screw it, I will make my own way, and my own path, and I’ll shine.” So that’s the message, you know, just shine, show who you are; don’t care about what other people think, just be you. It’s a very strong song for me… [laughs]

MD: Ooo yeah, well, it’s a very strong album, and it’s a very good message as well!

ANETTE: Yeah, good! [laughs]

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #52 en: Marzo 13, 2014, 10:35:32 pm »
METAL DISCOVERY: Despite the hard time you must’ve had emotionally when parting company with Nightwish, is it now a very exciting time for you to be making this fresh start, and completely on your own terms as well?

ANETTE: Yeah, of course, and I think it’s important that you go out from something that has been a bit harder to try and look ahead, and I did that quite fast. I was focussed and I wanted to do this album and get it out, and I think it went quite fast too. So I think it’s a good way to have this out now, one year later or one and a half or something. Of course, I’m also a bit nervous how it will go because I’m a new, fresh artist; I don’t have a band behind me; I don’t have big management and stuff in that way, that brings you up on the bigger scene. So I have to start from the beginning now and, of course, it’s a bit nervous too but I hope for the best… [laughs] and I did that quite fast. I was focussed and I wanted to do this album and get it out...Of course, I’m also a bit nervous how it will go because I’m a new, fresh artist..."

MD: So exciting but also a little bit scary… [laughs]

ANETTE: Yeah, of course, because you have to stand on your own two feet now. There’s not a band behind me, it’s only me now! [laughs]

MD: I think the album has got mass appeal because it crosses a few different genres and so forth, but it seems to me that once an artist or band has been so heavily associated within a particular genre - in this case, the metal genre – however they progress and diversify their music, it seems difficult for them to reach fans beyond that genre…

ANETTE: Yeah.

MD: So do you worry that your Nightwish association might prove a bit restrictive in being able to reach out to a more pop-oriented audience, for example?

ANETTE: Yeah, I mean, of course I think about that since my music is very different. And, in a way, especially in my home country where Nightwish isn’t that big, and where metal is really metal and, you know, we are a pop country, I would really like to sell some more albums in my home country. I think that would be really nice but it’s really hard and it hasn’t been so many interviews yet, and then it’s been only the rock magazines, so we’ll see. But maybe if they hear the music, hopefully… it’s all about the PR too.

MD: Yeah, exactly. It can just take a lucky break sometimes to get a bit of airplay on a particular radio station and then it can snowball from there, so hopefully you can reach out to that kind of crowd.

ANETTE: Exactly.

MD: One of the people you worked with on the album was Stefan í–rn who wrote and produced Sweden’s 2011 winning entry in the Eurovision Song Contest, of course, so I have to ask you – if the opportunity ever came up for you to represent your country in the contest, would you ever want to do that?

ANETTE: Yeah. I mean, actually, I did send a song this year and I didn’t get in, but… [laughs]… that’s how it goes! I think I would really like to do that. This year, however, here in Sweden, the contest has been not so good – quite bad songs and the whole show has been with a lot of negativity. So maybe now is not the best time to be in that competition! [laughs]

MD: Exactly, yeah! Maybe next year.

ANETTE: Yeah, maybe next year or when there’s a better feeling about it. But of course I would compete for Sweden; you always want to do that for your country… [laughs]… I think it’s good exposure, especially if you want to be seen in your home country, because they get a lot of focus in the media and stuff. It depends if you want to be only selling albums abroad or so on, and you don’t care about your home country, but if you want to be famous in your home country you need to do that; here in Sweden, for sure… [laughs]

MD: That’s the one, yeah! Are there any plans to tour with the record yet?

ANETTE: Yeah, we found a really nice booking agent here, one week ago, and I think he’s working on it so, hopefully, I would like to go out and play quite soon. But it’s in his hands now… [laughs] Hopefully… I would like to come to the UK so you’ll have to tell people to book me! [laughs]

MD: Oh absolutely, that’d be marvellous. I’ll spread the word around some of the promoters!

ANETTE: For sure, do so!

MD: Obviously the album’s only 38 minutes long so, when you do get out on the road, do you have any other new songs in reserve?

ANETTE: Yeah, I’m doing new songs. If there’s a need to do some covers I will do it but, otherwise, I do have some songs I’ve done with other bands too. I’m writing new songs for the main purpose that I do have some. I do need some more songs on the set, for sure.

MD: Otherwise it’ll be a very short gig!

ANETTE: Yeah, well, you can always talk a lot! [laughs]

MD: Yeah, exactly! You do seem to be good at talking!

ANETTE: But, actually, I did more songs for this album that didn’t come through because, the thing is, I had fifteen or sixteen songs but then, of course, they say that you shouldn’t have too many songs for an album. They say ten is quite enough, so it wasn’t my choice. I do have more songs that didn’t fit into it and I’ve actually done one new song already, this last week, and I have something more in my head, so there will be more songs. And it’s a good thing to try them out, you know, in a live show before you go and record your next album, because we’ll know which songs work…

MD: Yeah, and which bits of songs work as well…

ANETTE: Exactly. So, yeah, there will be more songs, for sure.

MD: Would you ever want to revisit Nightwish songs in your live solo sets, or is that something you want to leave completely in the past?

ANETTE: To be honest, I wouldn’t mind doing it because I like the songs and I’m proud of the songs that we’ve done. I mean, there are many songs I would love to do. But I know, also, that Tuomas, I don’t know whether he’d like me to do it, and that out of respect to the songwriter, I don’t want to disrespect him by taking his songs and doing them while they still play with the band. I mean, they’re going on tour and I’m sure Floor will sing a lot of songs that I’ve done and it wouldn’t be fair to compete in that way. So it’s not that I wouldn’t do it because I don’t like them anymore, it’s a bit of respect for him too. We’ll see. Maybe one day we’ll meet and he’ll say, “hey, do some songs from Nightwish”… “okay, I will do it”. But, for now, I’m not gonna do it in the first thing.

MD: You have enough powerful songs of your own, anyway!

ANETTE: Yeah, that’s what I mean and, I think, Nightwish is continuing their path with those songs and I think it’s better this way. They will do them live and I will do my stuff.

MD: The final thing I wanted to ask – as you seem to be such an optimistic person, what makes you shine in life most of all?

ANETTE: Oh, my children. Simple answer. My children, yeah, they make me shine, they do… [laughs]

MD: And have you baked some cookies yet? I also read earlier that you were going to bake some to make them smile?

ANETTE: Yeah, we did cookies. We made heart cookies. I’ll put them on the blog later. It was like a stamp. You make some butter cakes and then put a stamp on there with hearts. But then, when we baked them, you can’t see the heart as well, like not so good as I thought, but I will try to do them again. But they looked good and they were really yummy!

MD: Awww. Did it bring smiles to their faces?

ANETTE: Yes, they’re eating them and they’re like, “can we have more?!” It’s a good thing I don’t eat any cookies because I would be too big then, but my kids love cookies! [laughs]

MD: Marvellous! Right, thank you so much for your time, it’s been a real pleasure speaking with you.

ANETTE: Thank you so much and have a really nice evening. And hopefully I’ll see you in the UK then… if you get me there! [laughs]

MD: Definitely, I’ll spread the word! And best of luck with the album when it comes out everywhere. I hope it sells really well for you because it’s absolutely fantastic.

ANETTE: Thank you so much. It’s really nice to hear that. Thank you. And maybe I’ll talk to you again then.

MD: Definitely. Cheers then, bye!

ANETTE: Bye!

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #53 en: Marzo 20, 2014, 05:22:24 pm »
Anette will perform in Espoo's Kivenlahti Rock, the festival is held on June 6th-7th.

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #54 en: Marzo 24, 2014, 11:31:56 pm »
Entrevista en Italia!

I would like to start by talking about your solo career. How did you have the idea of working with other persons to write your new songs ? How was the writing process in general ?
In 2009, during a pause after the tour with Nightwish, I thought that I needed someone to help me, so I decided to contact a professionnal composer. I heard of a guy that was part of the Swedish Idol jury. He contacted me, he liked me, we finished several songs with his team and the album was out. (not sure of the end of this sentence^^) For the composition process, very often I have a melody in mind, and the guys start to play above, the piano for example, and that's the way we compose the music, around my melody. At other times, we find a beautiful harmonic (?) with the piano and I start singing. I take care of the melody and the lyrics, and the guys of the music. It's an optimal team.

The album sounds like a mix of musical influences very diverse, from Blackmore's night's folk rock to pop music.What are the bands and the genders of music that inspire you the most ?
Oh, I listen to several different things. For example Sting, Peter Gabriel, Cíéline Dion and lots of others. I do so since I was a child, and this helped me a lot when I was young when starting singing in cover bands, and even afterwards. I think that all the music influences defines the career of an artist.

There is a verse in "Lies" that says “ Threads of life going by / Precious moments run by / Tossing and turning our mind / All the magic is gone”. What is that song about ?
This song deals with the moment you separate from someone or something. Like in a divorse or at the end of a relashionship. It's difficult to explain it exactly, but I think it deals with how you feel when you leave something beautiful, that you thought was going on well. Suddenly things change, people change, you change, and the relationship changes. It's the end of something you thought would last forever.

Is there a song you like the most on the album ? And if yes, why ?
I like them all ! It's difficult to choose one, also because lots of time is spent, so maybe in the beggining I had a favourite song, and then another. MMM, which one can I choose... I love "Moving away", I feel it very close to me, because I wrote it when my mum confessed me she had the cancer. "Moving away" is a very special song, it has a very touching theme.

How do you suceed in being a three children mum and a full time singer in the same time ? What does this type of career involve when it opposes to your private life ?
Lately, it goes on really well, I had the time to listen to CDs, write songs and take care of my children, since I had no tour planned. In myjob, it works by periods, for example for a year you're far away touring, and the next one you're home to record your album. Then, for example, when I was in Nightwish I dedicated myself only to Nightwish, I couldn't do otherwise. It was not possible to be a full time mum. You need to understand and accept what you can do. About my private life, for sure when I started with Nightwish there were lots of implications. I felt like I needed to be very careful, whereas now I feel more free, I don't feel so scared anymore. It's very important for a public person to maintain a certain private life.

Critics are very important elements in music industry today. With the arrival of social networks, and then their influence increasing exponientielly, and the artists have to deal with it everyday. You have been criticized recently, how did you react ? Did you feel hurt or did you think it was part of the game ?
When I started to be a bit more famous, I found it difficult enough to face this kind of things. I received critics and jugements regarding my look and my voice, and yes it did hurt me. Now years have passed, and I can say it doesn't interrest me anymore. I use a lot Facebook, Instagram... On one hand they are usefull, and entertaining, but they can be destructive. I think you shouldn't dedicate too much time to it.

Let's make a little jump in 2007. When you joined Nightwish, I think it has been difficult for you to take Tarja's place in the heart of the fans. Do you feel freed from this weight now that you leaved the band ?
Yes, of course. It was very difficult in the beginning, when I arrived in Nightwish, because comparisons are unavoidable, and specially because that was the first time I was at that level of the music world, so the critics were continuous. Today it doesn't interrest me anymore, because I know who is Tarja, both of us have now new projects, and in the past we spent a beautiful period in Nightwish.

What do you miss the most from that period, and what do you think you've learnt now that you started a solo career ?
When I started in Nightwish it was all new, it was a pretty stressful period, but very beautiful and we had a lot of fun. The first two years have been very challenging, we were always touring, always travelling, I was never at home, but we had a lot of fun, we sold a lot of albums. What I miss the most are the big shows, having fun with them on stage, seeing the world. About my solo career... well... my first solo album is out !

You started writing the songs of your first solo album when you were still in the band. Was that difficult to work on your songs when you were touring ?
No because in fact we had a long pause after the tour. I knew there was going to be a lot of time between Dark Passion Play and Imaginaerum. I wanted to do something, but I couldn't allow myself a second job. It was a calibrated choice, taken at the best moment. In these two years a lot of things happened, like never before in my life. I wanted to do something else, outside of Nightwish, and writing songs looked like the perfect thing to do. I needed to "start my own business", to relax before starting recording the new Nightwish album. It was also a way to feel more secure, writing my own songs, before coming in the studio again, and be abble to say myself "I can do it, I can do my own songs". Suceeding in doing all this stuff by myself, without involving Nightwish, has been a goal.

And now are you going to tour to promote your album ?
Yes, I am just waiting for confirmations for several dates. There is probably going to be a tour for this spring, I don't know if it will only be a little tour of promotion, but there will be a tour. I can't say any precise date for now, but there will also be a second tour in automn, and it will start in Europe.

Thank you su much for the time you spent with us, it was a pleasure. If you want, you can leave a message for your Italian fans.
Of course ! Thank you for the support you gave me all these last years ! I hope I can come to play in Italy very soon... and to see you all ! I hope you'll like my album !

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #55 en: Marzo 25, 2014, 11:00:56 pm »

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #56 en: Marzo 25, 2014, 11:04:26 pm »

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #57 en: Marzo 28, 2014, 09:07:37 pm »
An interview with Anette from Helsingborgs Dagblad. http://hd.se/noje/20...n-pa-egen-hand/

Translation:

In the middle of an ongoing world tour Anette Olzon got fired from the metal band Nightwish. Now she tells about the shock and grief, the way back and the new solo album "Shine".

Anette Olzon "pustar ut" (like, she takes a deep breath and then relaxes, she's had a lot to do, but now has a moment to relax) when we meet up at Dunker's House of Culture. Her one-year old at home have started to get his molars.

"He's making a lot of noice" she says with a smile.

She has more to smile about. Shine has already gotten attention with several reviews on various internet sites. And the reviews are brilliant to say the least. With praise both for strong matrial and her melacholic voice.

Anette Olzon started working on the album over four years ago. She's written the songs together with Johan Glí¶ssner and Stefan í–rn (who co-wrote Azerbaijan's winning song "Running Scared" for Eurovision Song Contest 2011). The trio got in contact via Swedish Idols.

"I was watching the show and thought that Anders Bagge seemed like a nice and sypathetic person. A guy I'd like to work with. My manager arranged a meeting, and apart from Anders I also got to meet Johan and Stefan, and it clicked immediately between us.

The first recordings were made in Anders Bagge's studio on Ekerí¶. They turned out so well that all songs on the cd, except one, have Anette's lead vocals from those demo recordings.

It is a personal record. Some lyrics - like the title track "Shine" - hold a lot of meaning for Anette. It is an anti-bullying song with the message to not let anybody put you down. But to stand up for yourself and shine anyway. Anette herself was bullied at school and had as an adult given lectures on this subject.

Is "Shine" a song where adult Anette sing to young Anette?

"Yes you could say. When you are bullied, like I was for several years, you shrink yourself and believe that there's something wrong with you. I have a son who's 13. He's not bullied, but I see the same mechanisms. That you think you have to fit in to get everyone to like you. But you can't be loved by everybody. Though that is the thing that is so difficult to get young people to understand."

Anette Olzon had as a singer in Alyson Avenue made a couple of records when she in 2007 got the spot in Nightwish to replace Tarja Turunen. Nightwish is a Finnish symphonic metal band. It was founded in 1996 and got it's big breakthough 2004 with the album "Once" which sold more than one million copies in the US alone. With Anette Olzon in the band, Nightwish recorded "Dark Passion Play" which sold in two million copies and led to long tours around the world. Also the follow-up "Imaginaerum" was a great success. But just when everything seemed at its best, came the shocking news. After a show in Salt Lake City, USA, September 29, 2012, the other members sent an email to Anette's manager with an unequivocal message.

"They kicked me out in the middle of the tour", says Anette.

Background for the desicion was discussions about an upcoming Australia Tour. Anette felt that it would interfere with her pregnancy. Nightwish wanted to bring in a subtitute. Anette was hesitant towards that solution. But instead of continuing the discussions the rest of the band made a drastic desicion.

"At first I was really sad. I left my bus and sat down outside on the sidewalk and cried. The others in the band saw me sitting there, but nobody approached me. That touched me the most of all. Because it was so callous."

She was depressed for six months afterwards. As soon as she read something about Nightwish the tears came again.

"My self esteem went far down. Also I'm extra sensitive when I'm pregnant. I can blame some of all the tears on that."

Anette's mother thought her daughter should go and talk someone about what had happened. Anette chose to speak to the media instead.

"I have accepted it now, and that I got to tell, has helped. That it was not me who left, I got fired."

For Anette it was important to show her feeling to the world.

"I am a strong person, but I have the right to be sad. The common thing is that you're not supposed to show any emotion. But I'm not like that. I'm no machine."

She's also grateful for her time in Nightwish.

"I have seen the world. I have gained confidence and strenght. I'll take that with me. What is sad is that we haven't had any real closure. They were after all my friends for years. As it is now, we have been communicating via managers and lawyers."

Recently, Anette has been promoting "Shine". Though in her mind she's already on the way towards the next record. At the same time, she realizes that a tour would be a good next step.

"My booking agency are working on it. Now when I'm my own boss, I have to get a lot done by myself. I have been spoiled. Nightwish was like a big company. I just had to come with my little suitcase and stand by the mic and sing. Now I have to fix a band, equipment and all that."

But when it comes to career versus family there's no doubt.

"I will always sing and record albums. But never that I leave my family and travel around 300 days a year! I love my children. I didn't know I'd have three children, but that's how it turned out to be, and I live for them."

At the same thime, money has to come into the account some way.

"It's hard doing music today. Either you have it as a hobby and another work on the side. Then you may not get so big that you can sell a lot of records and can go on tour. Right now I don't know where I'll land. That depends on how this goes. If it doesn't turn out well, I'll end up dong a regular job. That's how it is for many musicians. I might become a midwife. That was what I had originally planned.

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #58 en: Abril 02, 2014, 03:31:06 pm »

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #59 en: Abril 03, 2014, 05:06:41 pm »
Anette will perform in Toranda Parkfest in Tornio.