Serena

• Moderador
  • Excelente participación
Re: Dido vuelve despues de 5 años!!!
« Respuesta #30 en: Octubre 16, 2008, 11:26:09 pm »

Dido crowned songwriter of the year
Thu 16th Oct, 2008
Some news hot off the press...

London October 15, 2008: The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) honoured the top writer and publisher members of the PRS - the UK's Performing Right Society - at a ceremony held at The Grosvenor House Hotel in London on Wednesday, October 15, 2008. The top award went to Dido, who was named Songwriter of the Year and was recognised for the songs Thank You and White Flag.

Happy days.

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #31 en: Octubre 18, 2008, 12:15:00 am »

Deluxe CD version of Safe Trip Home available
Fri 17th Oct, 2008
A deluxe two disc version of Safe Trip Home is now available to pre-order from online retailers. The first disc contains the album, while the second disc features the bonus tracks For One Day, Summer and Northern Skies (Rollo mix), plus a special Making of Safe Trip Home film.

To pre-order it from HMV in the UK click here or to get it from Amazon in the US here.

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #32 en: Octubre 18, 2008, 10:21:03 pm »

Live updates from tomorrow's playback
Sat 18th Oct, 2008
As you know, Dido is hosting a special advance playback for Safe Trip Home tomorrow afternoon at a secret UK location.

We're going along and we're planning to post photos and updates from the event as it happens, direct to the site. We say "planning" because apparently there isn't much of a phone signal (and certainly no wi-fi), so getting online might be a little tricky. But we're confident we'll be able to post something.

Tune in to the site from about 3pm tomorrow afternoon to (hopefully) join in the fun...

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #33 en: Octubre 19, 2008, 11:07:35 pm »

Live from the Safe Trip Home playback
Sun 19th Oct, 2008
7.40pm: And that's it. All the pictures have been taken, all the booklets have been signed and all the fans are climbing onto the coaches for their journey back to London .It's been a great day - with the surprise show definitely the highlight. Our time has now come to leave our position by the disable toilet. Thanks for reading this - hope it's given you a bit of feel for what's been going on here. Sorry about the pictures (or lack thereof) - we'll post some up as soon as we can. G'night!

7.34pm: Turns out there are still quite a few more people left - they've been queueing outside. They look less than warm. But everyone seems very cheery.

7.24pm: We've just been having a look at your comments beneath our updates. Thanks for joining in. It's nice to know our time spent outside the disabled toilet has been worthwhile. News just in - Dido is having a glass of wine while she does the pictures/signings. We won't be too far behind her.

7.15pm: The final few fans are now having their pictures taken with Dido. We've just been chatting to a nice chap from Poland who thought the album sounded great. Apparently Dido is very popular in Poland. He also told us that the architecture in Krakow is lovely and it's definitely worth visiting. Good to know.

.6.50pm: All the fans are now going to get their picture taken with Dido. They'll also get their lyric booklets signed. Another nice touch.

6.42pm: A terrific White Flag and we're done. That was great. We're back by the disabled toilet, so you should definitely be able to read these now. People are starting to ask us why we've been standing by the disabled toilets for several hours. They don't really look like they believe us when we try to explain. Sigh.

6.28pm: We're not sure you're actually getting these updates as we're a long way from our disabled toilet signal hot spot. But hopefully they're getting thru. Dido is currently playing the recorder part at the end of Grafton Street which sounds even more haunting when it's stripped back to an acoustic arrangement.

That was the last song of the set, but after a brief break she's just walked back on for an encore of Look No Further. Hurrah!

6.13pm: Dido is very chatty and relaxed between songs. Her good mood can only have been helped by the fact that she beat us at pooh sticks when we had a wander around the grounds earlier. Life For Rent now, with Dido and Joel both strumming acoustics. Nice.

6.04pm: It's Quiet Times now, perhaps the most gorgeous song on the new album. Even without the drums and strings which drive the album version it sounds absolutely lovely. And from that it's into Thank You... 5.57pm: We've snuck into the gig with our phone. Don't Believe I Love just finished. Dido's voice sounds amazing. Really. And now she's playing the glockenspiel on Let's Do The Things We Normally Do. It's just Dido and Joel the guitar player up there.

5.48pm: All the fans are outside having a drink and some nibbles before Dido's show. It's very cold out there. Very cold indeed. The people in T-shirts clearly haven't been to Britain in October much before. One of Dido's management team just told us that Marilyn Monroe once stayed in this house too. Hope she brought a thick sweater with her.

5.25pm: So the album finished to a big round of applause from the fans - and they've just announced that Dido is going to be playing a surprise live set in about half an hour's time! Apparently she only decided a couple of days ago. Needless to say, people looked pretty pleased by the news.

518pm: The final track is now on - it's called Northern Skies and we can exclusively reveal that those are also the last two words of the album (the line is "under the wide northern skies").

5.07pm: We just spoke to Dido's PA who tells us she slept in this lovely house last night - in a room in which Henry VIII apparently once stayed. This place clearly has some history. Three songs left of the album playback. Sounds great on the big PA they've brought in especially. If the pictures don't post, we'll stick them up when we get home.

4.52pm: We can hear It Comes And It Goes wafting over from the part of the house where the playback is. We looked thru the window and everyone looks like they're listening intently. But then you'd hope so when they've come so far - there are people in there from Brazil, Poland, Italy and lots of other places. We're still working on the pictures thing. Fingers crossed we'll get there.

4.37pm: Well everyone is settled in and the playback has begun. We can't update the site from in there because a) there's no signal and b) phones aren't allowed in there, so we're back at the disabled toilet. Everyone has been given a nice little booklet with all the lyrics so that they can follow them while hearing the songs. Nice touch.

4.24pm: Hmm, not sure that picture worked. We'll try again. The fans have arrived now. They all look quite excited.

4.14pm: if this works (we're doing all this from our phone) then hopefully you'll be able to see a picture of the room where people will get to listen to the album. Comfy.

.57pm: Right, so we'll give you a bit of a description of the secret location. It's in the countryside, at an amazing old house full of battered leather sofas and roaring fires. It looks like the sort of place they have very posh wedding receptions/parties. We've just been for a wander of the grounds with Dido, who's as blown away by the surroundings as we are. It really is very beautiful here. Apparently the prize winners coming to the playback are arriving on a coach from London any minute.

. 3.40pm: We're here and if we stand in one place near the disabled toilet, we can get connection. Happy days. Sorry we've started a bit later than expected

12.47pm: We're just about to set of for the Safe Trip Home playback which Dido is hosting at a secret UK location this afternoon. The live updates will (fingers crossed) appear here.

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #34 en: Octubre 20, 2008, 11:25:26 pm »
Aqui hay fotos del lugar donde se realizó la escucha del disco!

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #35 en: Octubre 22, 2008, 11:16:07 pm »

More Ask Dido answers
Wed 22nd Oct, 2008
Here are a couple more answers from Dido to questions which you folks have emailed in to askdido@didomusic.com.

Are you afraid about coming back to your career? Because you were absent for years!!
Mohammed Kaaki, Lebanon
Dido replies: I've certainly never left my career! My life is music and it is part of my every day. I've been really enjoying touring and then making music in the studio these last few years. Learning new instruments, writing more and more, learning about every aspect of music that I can question and doing a lot of home recording! But yes, it is always a challenge for me to then bring the music into the public domain. That has never changed for me. When I write I forget that anything will be heard by anyone. It's such a personal and insular experience between me and the song and the music. So it will take me a bit of adjustment to not feel awkward about the other stuff.

Hi Dido my question is how can you describe your new album to fans who have only heard your singles up to now?
Jamie Daborn
Dido replies: It's not really up to me to describe it. I just pour everything into it and then leave that to other people when they listen. I wlll never know what people hear when they listen to it. I can only go on what I love. But the few things I can tell you are that it is still all about the song. That is what I love about making music. And this time round I decided to reference what I love about electronic music but try and make every sound with non-programmed instruments. For me, that gives it a warmth and dynamic as every keyboard sound, beat, blip, whatever is played by me or my friends. It leaves many surprises in there for the repeat listener.

If I wanted a keyboard sound we would create it with bells, orchestras, old modular synths, marimbas, glass harmonicas, old pianos, playing percussion on guitars, wind instruments, anything! If we wanted a drum loop I would go to the source and managed to work with some of the best drummers in the world (the ones we would have sampled before...). If I wanted reverb on my vocal I would climb into the reverb chamber and sing the whole song again underneath. It obviously took a little time to get the right sound sometimes but it was so much fun and totally worth it in my opinion as it creates a depth and warmth that means I'm still hearing things in the tracks I haven't heard before (and I've heard them a lot...).

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #36 en: Octubre 23, 2008, 11:05:50 pm »

US fan contest opens
Thu 23rd Oct, 2008
Following last week's special playback event in the UK, we can reveal that Dido is hosting another Safe Trip Home listening party, in the US on November 15th.

If you live in the US and you'd like to win a trip to the party (including flights and accommodation) then click here to enter the contest, before October 31st.

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #37 en: Octubre 25, 2008, 11:40:20 pm »

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #38 en: Octubre 27, 2008, 11:34:52 pm »

Don't Believe In Love out today
Mon 27th Oct, 2008
Dido's new single, Don't Believe In Love, is out today.

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #39 en: Octubre 27, 2008, 11:37:50 pm »
SAFE TRIP HOME FILMS 

Hello again Noemi. We're pleased to announce that 11 short films are being produced to accompany the release of Dido's third studio album, Safe Trip Home. Based thematically around the concept of home, these shorts feature stories of hope, love, commitment and longing, from around the globe, a dump site in Rio, a Mumbai taxi-cab, the rugged coast of New Zealand's South Island, a Thai boxing ring and a picturesque Portuguese fishing village. You can watch the first four films at www.safetriphome.com now. Choose a location and then begin navigating your way through the films that are housed around the globe.

"I wanted every song to have its own video or film to represent the album as a whole," explains Dido. "I love seeing how someone else might interpret a song that is so specific and personal to me. It's an experiment I've been really enjoying, watching the songs be turned on their heads by these beautiful emotional visual stories that are coming out of it."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DON'T BELIEVE IN LOVE OUT TODAY
The first single from Dido's new album, Safe Trip Home, finally hits the shops in the UK this week. If you'd like to download it from iTunes, then click here. And if you'd like to buy the CD single, then you can get it from HMV.com here. The track is also available now in iTunes stores across the world. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIDOMUSIC.COM UPDATE
Head over to Dido's official website to catch up on all the news from the last few weeks. You can read Dido's answers to fans' questions (and submit your own), or check out our live blog from the special album playback which took place in a lovely house in the UK countryside recently. Plus we've details for US fans of a chance to win a trip to a special Stateside album playback and there are links to radio interviews from Dido's recent European promo jaunt.

DELUXE ALBUM
A deluxe two disc version of Safe Trip Home is now available to pre-order from online retailers. The first disc contains the album, while the second disc features the bonus tracks For One Day, Summer and Northern Skies (Rollo mix), plus a special Making of Safe Trip Home film. To pre-order it in the UK click here for HMV and here for Play.com. Or to get it from Amazon in the US here. 

See you next time,

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #40 en: Octubre 28, 2008, 11:37:07 pm »

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #41 en: Octubre 28, 2008, 11:39:43 pm »
Life after deathArticle from: Sunday Herald SunFont size: Decrease Increase Email article: Email Print article: Print James Wigney

October 26, 2008 12:00am
IT has been more than five years since the release of Dido's last album, but she simply doesn't understand the hype about her long-awaited return.

Sitting in a rented house in the Hollywood hills, the British singer-songwriter laughs at the notion that years in the music business are like dog years and suggestions that her third album, Safe Trip Home, is something of a comeback.

"I can't see what everyone is fussing about," she says.

"I love this whole 'I'm back' thing. I didn't realise I ever went away."

Since she released Life for Rent in 2003, a new wave of British females with distinctly different sounds has ruled the airwaves, from Amy Winehouse to Duffy to Lily Allen.
The industry has changed radically and is fighting for its existence in an age of digital downloads and file sharing.

But Dido Florian Cloud de Bounevialle O'Malley Armstrong (named after a Carthaginian queen) has never been about writing hits or following trends.

Her music will never be slave to a timetable, but the phenomenal success of No Angel, which featured the hits Thank You and Here With Me, and its follow-up Life For Rent, make Safe Trip Home one of this year's most eagerly anticipated releases.

"The way that I live is that I write music and play music and think music and eventually it builds into a record and then I suddenly feel very proud of it and want people to hear it," she says.

"So to me it doesn't feel like a long gap, because as long as I am moving forward and learning something about music and life, time passes very quickly."

When Dido, 36, doesn't have a release to promote or a tour to sell, she is largely invisible. Up close she is undeniably stunning, but in a very natural, girl-next-door kind of way that helps to explain why she can fly under the radar so easily. This is just the way she likes it.

Instead of drug habits, drinking problems, foul-mouthed rants and tell-all blog posts, she still has the same friends she had as a child and would be writing songs and making music regardless of whether anyone was listening. And just for the record, while she would like to at some stage, she didn't disappear to get married or have children.

"Not as far as I remember. Unless I was very drunk at the time," she says laughing.

"I have been very lucky. I have been left alone to make music over the last 10 years and it's great and I love it that way.

"I can't imagine writing songs if I was living in the public eye at the same time. That would be weird."

After touring Life For Rent for more than two years, Dido eventually returned to the studio intent on pushing her creative limits.

Where the first two albums largely were built around the electronic sounds that stemmed partly from her brother and long time collaborator, Rollo, and his dance outfit Faithless, this time Dido was intent on taking everything she loved about that style and reproducing it live in the studio.

For Safe Trip Home, she learned how to play the drums, stepped up her guitar and piano skills and took a much bigger role in producing and engineering alongside Rollo and Jon Brion, who has also worked with Kanye West and Rufus Wainwright. She also roped in Brian Eno, Mick Fleetwood and Questlove from the Roots, as well as a who's who of some of the world's finest session musicians.

RECORDED in Los Angeles and London's Abbey Road studios, the album is a revelation -- from the slinky groove of the opening track, Don't Believe in Love to the heartfelt simplicity of Quiet Times, (on which she also plays every instrument), the alt country of Burnin' Love (with US singer-songwriter Citizen Cope) to the closing eight-minute electronic epic, Northern Skies.

One song, however, stands head and shoulders above the rest -- the emotional, Celtic-influenced track called Grafton St, which was co-written with the revered Eno and is about the death of her Irish father, William, in 2006.

She pauses and shifts a little uncomfortably when the song is raised. This is one of the first times she has spoken about the song and his death and it's still a raw topic.

"It's the song that everyone is going to ask about and it's an emotional piece of music -- there is no getting away from that," she says, quietly.

"He was great. He was around to hear some of (the album), but not all of it. It's gutting for me that I can't play him the record. But I guess he can hear it. Him dying was huge. I was so close to him and it was big. I got to be with him and I was glad about that -- it's a huge event."

After rebellious teenage years and being tossed out of home, Dido was close to her father, a respected book editor and publisher who was always proud of, but rather bemused by, the success of his children.

When he finally succumbed to the auto immune disease lupus she was by his side singing the traditional Irish song Raglan Road believed to have been written about a relative of hers and containing the lyrics, "On Grafton Street in November, We tripped lightly along the ledge, Of a deep ravine where can be seen, The worst of passions pledged".

Dido is evasive about the meaning of the title of her song Grafton St, but says she poured her emotion into it through the most unlikely of pop instruments -- the recorder.

"It's a really nostalgic sound for me and my brother because that's what I played from the age of five," she says.

Dido's increasing control in the studio reflects her happiness, calmness and stability in life.

"When I was a teenager I just figured I knew stuff and never questioned it, then in my 20s I literally plummeted so hard and realised I didn't know anything," she says.

"Then you build it up again and you just sort of feel calm and easy. I am always calm on the outside, but I always have this churny, frustrated thing inside -- that's why I write."

D ESPITE the personal nature of her music, Dido says she is not trying to present a portrait of herself. Rather there are small snapshots of intense moments or feelings in her life.

She is delighted on hearing an inaccurate suggestion of what one song represents and loves the fact that what can be so specific and intimate to her can resonate in so many different ways with her millions of fans around the world.

"It's bizarre," she says with a laugh.

"I wouldn't know how to make something universal if I had a gun to my head. I have learned that if I am really honest with myself and pour everything into the songs and trust my instincts, then I hope people enjoy it. The only thing I can have any control over is what I put in. God knows what people will get out of it."

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #42 en: Octubre 29, 2008, 11:48:19 pm »
Dido: queen of the road
Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 29/10/2008Page 1 of 3

Dido is Britain's most successful female artist ever, yet is releasing only her third album since her 1999 breakthrough. She tells Sheryl Garratt about the physical and emotional journeys that have brought her this far. Photographs by Kayt Jones

It's 6.30pm on an autumn evening in Los Angeles, and Dido is driving down Santa Monica Boulevard facing right into the setting sun. The glare is blinding and she cheerfully admits she can barely see, which is worrying because when he said goodbye earlier, her manager, Peter Leak, had made some pointed quips about her eccentric 'jazz driving'

'It's always like this when the sun is going down,' she says, squinting through the windscreen. 'Earlier this year I got a bicycle. What I was thinking, I have no idea. I'd cycle along the road parallel to this, and no one could see me coming. It was like being on a rollercoaster!'

She seems very much at home in LA, so much so that I had assumed that she had moved here. She has lived here, on and off, since coming to do some writing with the producer Jon Brion in 2005, and this is where she has ended up writing and recording most of her long-awaited third album, Safe Trip Home. But it turns out that the Lexus utility vehicle she is driving is a rental, as is her house in West Hollywood, and her roots are still in Islington where she grew up.

'London is still where all my stuff is, where I feel at home,' she explains. 'I'm just really enjoying working here. Los Angeles is a city built on storytelling, on imagination and ideas. And after a while you start soaking that up. It's very easy to get into a headspace that's good for writing. There's a lot to look at, a lot of emotional stuff going on. I've felt so creative and so confident here, but this isn't somewhere I would set up shop permanently. It's a great city, but you need to be able to leave it.'

Earlier that evening, I had watched her rehearse in a cramped but cosy studio space in West Hollywood kept by her guitarist, Joel Shearer. With the album finished, Dido is in that delicate transition period when songs that were private are starting to become public, and when she will soon have to take music created in the closed world of the recording studio out to live audiences.

'Which is always a shocker for me!' she says. 'I still forget that anyone's actually going to hear it while I'm writing songs. It just becomes a relationship between you and the music, you and the emotion. You're not thinking at that point, you're not even filtering yourself - you're not having to, because it's just you sitting on your own in the kitchen. If I did think about the eventual audience, I don't think I could do it.'

Right now she is easing into it all gently, playing with just Shearer and the percussionist Brendan Buckley. She seems relaxed, happy, totally in charge as she swaps from piano to guitar to recorder and confidently runs through four songs from the new album in that pure, clear voice. When she sings the hauntingly beautiful Grafton Street, about the death of her father in 2006, I find myself blinking away tears.

'We had a good day today,' she smiles as they pack up for the weekend, adding that they had even learnt a new song, one she might include on her fourth album. She's on a creative roll at the moment, writing so prolifically that she's reluctant to stop. The album was originally due to come out at the start of 2008, but she ended up delaying it to add some new tracks, and now she is collecting songs for the follow-up before the ideas get lost in the whirlwind of promotion and touring. 'I know that if I break this run, it's not going to happen like this again,' she says. 'I just became oblivious to the outside world and got into writing.'

One of her great strengths, as a songwriter and as a performer, is her ability to make what feels like a direct, emotional connection with the listener. This is perhaps not so hard today, when she's playing to an audience consisting of me and her manager, but she also pulls it off on a far grander scale. Sales of her first two albums now total some 22 million, making her the most successful female artist ever to come out of Britain. Which is surprising, since all she set out to do, in the beginning, was record a low-key chill-out album.

Dido recorded No Angel for her older brother Rollo's independent dance label, Cheeky, signing with him in Britain, and Arista for the rest of the world. But when Rollo decided he wasn't cut out to be a record executive - he is primarily a producer, as well as being a key member of the dance group Faithless - and began negotiations to sell out to Arista, Dido's album was delayed. Released in the States in the summer of 1999, it didn't come out in Britain until early 2001. With little else to do, she went to the States and did the kind of promotion few British acts are willing to do, criss-crossing the country to do radio interviews, meet-and-greets of sales teams, and gigs in tiny venues for 18 exhausting months. There was never any grand plan, she says. 'I sort of set off and just kept going. It was always, "Well, just do this one thing more", and then this one other thing more.'

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #43 en: Octubre 29, 2008, 11:49:23 pm »
Each week, the album sold a little more than the week before, and when one of the tracks was chosen as the theme music for the cult sci-fi tele­vision series Roswell High, sales finally passed the million mark. Shortly afterwards, Eminem sampled her sweet love song Thank You and twisted it into a tale of warped obsession on his single Stan towards the end of 2000, and Dido became a worldwide phenomenon.

With her sometimes deceptively gentle, beautifully crafted songs, Dido is now one of the few British acts - Coldplay being the other big one - to make a substantial impact on the US charts. Yet when we sit down in a busy health food restaurant to talk after her rehearsal, no one appears to recognise her. Wearing her blond hair scraped back into a ponytail, ripped jeans and an off-the-shoulder white T-shirt, she looks younger than her 36 years, and not at all conspicuous. Only the rather lovely Miu Miu handbag at her feet hints at what must, by now, be a very healthy bank balance. But some time ago Dido worked out what makes her happy, and it isn't buying lots of stuff, or surrounding herself with too much clutter or complication. It is, simply, making and playing music. 'I love what I do, and I feel very confident as a songwriter,' she says. 'In so many other things in life I'm just so awkward and clumsy. I'm lost! I have moments when I can talk clearly, and moments when I just can't.'

Music is her way of expressing herself, of interacting with the world. It calms her. 'If I'm frightened, or I'm really stressed, I'll find myself humming and singing,' she says. 'There was an earthquake here recently, and my house is quite tall and wooden, and I felt like it was going to fall. Then I found myself starting a little song, and I immediately calmed down.'

advertisement
When Dido first came to LA, she stayed in a big house up in the Hollywood Hills. She had a bed, a piano and one bag of clothes. After injuring herself on a trip to Mexico - she is notoriously accident-prone - and finding it hard to walk, she bought herself a drum-kit as a way of staying active. 'I was just sitting on the sofa, and I'm not good if I'm not moving,' she says. 'So I thought it might be nice to hit things. And then I got obsessed, and would just play along with my iPod. It became a really good writing tool. If I'm writing on the guitar I'll move to the piano if I get a bit stuck, and now I can take it to the drums as well. Which can sometimes free up a part of your brain. Drumming is great for that, it just lets something go. God knows how it sounds, but I don't care. I just enjoy doing it.'

This spartan existence - just her, the piano, the drums and the bag - continued for more than a year. She loved the simplicity of it, she says. The views were great from her house in the hills, and with no near neighbours she could make as much noise as she liked. 'But it felt weird up there, full of people who don't talk to each other. So now I've moved my bag to a smaller place where I've got neighbours, and it's really nice.'

The new house is tiny, she adds. Which is just as she likes it. 'It's perfect,' she says. 'Everything is within arm's reach, so I can just write a song and I don't have to worry about moving stuff to another room or anything. I like things simple, and I actually get quite tense if I've got too many things around me. You work these things out about yourself as you get older. And what am I going to write songs about if I'm rambling around in a big old mansion?'

Success came late for Dido. She was almost 30 when the big cheques began to come in from No Angel, and as a result she perhaps has a more balanced approach to it all. 'God knows what would have happened if all this had happened to me when I was 19,' she laughs. 'I was an absolute mess! But now, you've established your life, you know what you love doing, and it's very important to me - for songwriting - to not disturb that equilibrium.'

So although her place in Islington is lovely, it is not palatial. One of the great pleasures of success is being able to look after people close to her, and it has also enabled her to quietly put money behind one of her passions: education, especially for girls, funding schools in the developing world via Oxfam. When I ask what her indulgences are, she says buying musical instruments, mainly. And a season ticket to her beloved Arsenal, although she hasn't been able to see many matches recently. 'Someone else has been borrowing it. I last used it in April.'

She enjoys clothes, but she rarely goes out to buy them. 'I'm quite lazy about what I wear. It just feels like life's too short, and there are certain things I just can't be bothered with - like getting dressed up, and going shopping.' The only time she has been into a shop in LA this year was to buy her assistant a birthday present. 'I hate it,' she shrugs. 'I find it a very hostile environment.'

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #44 en: Octubre 29, 2008, 11:52:10 pm »
freedom in that, and she feels very lucky. 'But I don't feel the need to do anything wildly different from how I've always done it.'

Fame seems of no interest to her, either. She is rarely seen at awards ceremonies, premieres or industry back-slapping events, and with just a few exceptions - such as the paparazzi trying to get into the hospital when her father was ill - she has sidestepped becoming yet another character in the tabloids' celebrity soap opera. She has been lucky to be left alone, she says, and she hopes to keep it that way. So when I later ask if she is still single, she just smiles and says she has strict boundaries now, and avoids talking about her personal life. 'But - I'm very happy.'

We first met in 2001, just as No Angel was breaking big, and she seems to have changed very little: she's more confident, more self-assured, but then she's also seven years older. 'There's a confidence that comes with that,' she agrees. 'You accept certain things about yourself - like I'm never going to be Christy Turlington, and that's OK! I like being a woman, and I haven't reached a point yet where I feel negative about getting older - my life has only got better. I'm sure there is a point where you start coming down the other side of the mountain, but I can look back now on all sorts of stuff - even interviews - and see that old uncertainty, and realise I don't feel that any more.'

Dido's background is often described, somewhat snottily, as privileged. She grew up in a big, book-filled house in north London, and her early aptitude for music was encouraged with lessons at the Guildhall School of Music. Her father, William Armstrong, headed the publishing house Sidgwick & Jackson for 25 years until illness forced an early retirement in 1995, building up an extraordinarily varied list from serious history tomes to early bonkbusters and memoirs from the likes of Reg and Ron Kray, Bob Geldof and Boy George. Her mother, Clare, is a somewhat eccentric poet who often acted more like a friend than a parent.

Dido and Rollo, now 42, grew up without the kind of consistent boundaries and routines children often need. There were rules, but they tended to be arbitrary. They could come and go as they pleased, and in her teens Dido would disappear for days on end without comment, only to be shouted at for not wearing her slippers in the house. Everything about her family seemed different: they had no TV, no stereo, and no visitors. Clare shared her daughter's aversion to shopping, so the children's clothes were always oddly mismatched, while their packed lunches at school would be dried banana chips or leftover ratatouille rather than the nice white-bread sandwiches and Penguin bars everyone else seemed to have.

And then, of course, there were their names. Dido was named after the Queen of Carthage mentioned in Virgil's Aeneid, which you would think would be burden enough. (When meeting new people, she often tried to pretend she was called Clare or Chloe.) But her birth certificate, famously, lists her glorious full name as Florian Cloud de Bounevialle O'Malley Armstrong. Now, both siblings can see that there were advantages to their unorthodox upbringing, and they wonder if either of them would be as creative without it. But when they were younger and desperate to fit in, it must have been tough. 'We've always striven to be… normal,' Dido told me in 2001.

An intense, self-contained child who often practised on her recorder, piano and violin for six or seven hours a day, she went off the rails as a teenager. She became a Goth, got into fights, and scraped through her A-levels with such a lack of commitment that her parents refused to fund her through university. So she left home and got a job as a waitress, then followed the advice of one of her father's authors, Shirley Conran, and went to secretarial school. Afterwards she worked in publishing, and by the mid-1990s she was studying for a law degree at night but also hanging round the studio while Faithless made their first album, Reverence. Rollo, who had already enjoyed a string of one-off dance hits at this point, discouraged her musical ambitions, feeling luck could not hit the same family twice, but she persisted and was finally allowed to sing on a couple of tracks. She has contributed a guest vocal on every Faithless album since, while Rollo has helped out on hers.

Although just over half of Safe Trip Home was recorded with Jon Brion (a producer and multi-instrumentalist who has worked with left-field artists such as Rufus Wainwright, Fiona Apple and Aimee Mann), her brother came out to LA this summer with his partner and their two young sons, and Dido says it was almost like the old days: Faithless worked on their new album in the studio while she worked on songs in the programming room, then Rollo and Sister Bliss, the main musician in Faithless, pitched in on her tracks.

advertisement
Dido rarely talks about her lyrics, saying it stops people interpreting songs for themselves, and also that it would stop her writing freely if she felt she would have to explain it. Some of the lyrics have always been Rollo's, she points out, and not all of her songs are about her life. 'Obviously you're going to use your own emotional experiences, but I'm not trying to diarise my life through music. I've no desire to do that whatsoever.'

She does, however, say that her father's death, at the age of 68, after a long struggle with the auto-immune disease lupus, has influenced some of the new songs, especially Grafton Street, on which Dido plays the first instrument she ever learnt, the recorder.

'I'm proud that Rollo and I managed to do something that is a really lovely tribute to Dad,' she says quietly. 'That song still really moves me. And I'm so glad I put the recorder on it. At the time I thought, "Oh God, I can't believe I'm doing this!" But I didn't care what anyone thought of the song, I just wanted to make it. Dad is so much responsible for the way I am, and for me being creative. His way of telling us bedtime stories was to sing all his Irish songs, and you could hear him coming a mile off in the car with his overly loud Irish music. I loved it, and I know that was instilled into me. He always supported anything creative we've done, and there was never any pressure. He was just immensely, immensely proud.'

Before finishing her second album, Life For Rent, in 2003, Dido separated from her partner of seven years, Bob Page, a music industry lawyer. After touring to promote the record, she travelled alone to places such as Thailand, Canada and Ireland, revelling in her new freedoms. At the time she talked excitedly about having adventures, of trying new things like snowboarding and parachuting, but when her father's health deteriorated she headed back home.

'I've been remarkably rooted in wherever I am for the last years, and part of that was because of Dad. I just wanted to be with him when I was in London. I'd go to see him every morning and every evening, and I had just no desire to go anywhere else. I knew if I did, I just wouldn't enjoy myself anyway. And I really enjoyed that time we had, actually. Loved it.'

I wonder if she went back to the adventures afterwards, but she says she feels less restless, immersed in her work. Her explorations are different now. She has been mastering the technical side of studio work, and can now record her own songs on to her laptop, at home. One song on the album, Quiet Times, was recorded this way, with her playing everything, including the drums. She never did go sky-diving.

'People kept putting me off.Nobody seems to want me to jump out of a plane! Not with my record for clumsiness. A couple of years ago, I decided I wanted to learn to fly. Because you can do it here, and I just thought it would be amazing. And everyone was just like, "No! Not with your driving skills!"'

She's not that bad a driver, she huffs, saying that it's hard to avoid accidents in LA. 'People just come bumping into you. You'll be sitting at a traffic light, and bang! It's extraordinary here, there's a lot of people in their cars multi-tasking - putting lipstick on while talking on the phone.'

When she first came to the city, she would drive around at night, listening to Turin Brakes and Citizen Cope, or the string arrangements on Randy Newman and Nilsson. Later, she would go on longer road trips to Kings Canyon in the Sierra Nevada mountains, to the Yosemite National Park, driving alone across the desert for hours on end playing Brian Eno's pioneering ambient exploration Another Green World.

'Eno definitely works in the desert, at sunset,' she says. 'Music is an emotional thing for me - I'm not someone who has it on in the background. That's why I like listening when I'm driving. Because I want to listen. It transports you.'

She ended up working with Eno and Cope on the new album, which also boasts some gorgeously lush string arrangements. But mainly, on these trips, she's catching up on music she missed, growing up without a stereo. From classic disco to singer-songwriters such as James Taylor and Carole King, there's always something else to discover. 'The thing I love about music is I'm never going to have to stop learning. There's just so much,' she enthuses.

Talk to Dido for long, and you will notice that the word 'learning' comes up a lot. Last year she started taking English classes at UCLA. She never did complete her law course, but she is now thinking about enrolling to do an English degree.

'It was really fun,' she says of the night classes she took at UCLA while making her album. 'I'd leave the studio early evening, go off and do this quite intense class, and I'd come back and I'd just be on fire! I did it purely to enjoy it and learn. We were doing mythology - I even had to read most of the Bible, which was bizarre. But it was fascinating, and I'd like to do more. Do that, do gigs, write songs and record… that's my ideal life, and that's what I'm heading for.'