INICIO FOROS ÍNDICES DIVISAS MATERIAS PRIMAS CALENDARIO ECONÓMICO

Autor Tema: Nightwish  (Leído 359557 veces)

Serena

• Moderador
  • Excelente participación
Re: Nightwish
« Respuesta #975 en: Diciembre 04, 2014, 04:35:29 pm »
Nightwish – Back to the island

Pathfinder camp Rí¶skí¶, end of September. Here in Karelia, just a few kilometres away from the Russian border, it is still warm enough to wear a t-shirt at daytime. The birch leaves at the peninsula are just turning golden red. In the air over the camp of wooden cabins a permanent cosy smell of birch tar hangs in the air which already became the scent of its dwellers. This is because of the feeding of the sauna oven with pale wood and the camp fire every evening. “You hardly get this out of your clothes and hairs”, bass player Marco Hietala comments without appearing disgruntled. The mood is remarkably good.

Broken bones & studio magic

Marco made himself comfortable on the couch in the “control room” of the self-furnished studio at the upper floor of a big cabin. Backache, broken ribs and a broken hand make the welcoming unintentionally distanced. Not only the bass player but also Troy Donockley is suffering from the consequences of an injured chest. The pipes player should already have recorded his tracks. But the last try suddenly ended for him with a painful “Ouch!”. The bellows of his uilleann pipes just sits at the fracture of his ribs. Tuomas is easily identified for being responsible for this carnage. “We had a lot of fun with the Jetski”, the keyboarder shamefacedly explains. “Then we had the idea to pull a water banana with it. When I cornered too sharply, unfortunately Marco and Troy badly fell down. If the proverbial donkey is doing too well, the ice is enticing. At least, the twisted fingers of Marco are not on the keyboarder’s account. “When jumping into the lake, I got caught in a railing”, the bass player describes the second accident. “But I was quite lucky in the circumstances. Had it been my fingerboard hand, someone else would be recording the tracks for the album.” Alcohol is no excuse for him since he completely spares it for years.

Tuomas and long-time producer Tero “TeeCee”Kinnunen are intensively listening to new member Floor Jansen who gets in touch over the radio from the vocals cabin in the next room. The Dutchwoman is trying to bridge a coffee break by counting in Finnish. “With this accent, the word means ‘piss’”, Tero grins and corrects Floors attempt to come to grips with the complex Finnish language. Apart from drilling the vocabulary, her strong will to integrate with the band becomes apparent with her recent move to Finnland. Who is ready to completely change live thus far barely intends to leave soon. The recordings continue. Drums, keyboard, bass and guitar are already recorded. Orchester, choirs and Troy are added later. Tero adjusts the modulators and Floor repeats singing the same section. Marco and Tuomas  adjust after each session small details such as intonation and vocal lines. The vocalist immediately realises all ideas or suggest an alternative. Additional recordings follow, after one passage is thrashed out for all participants until approx. five tracks are available. Furthermore, the men take detailed notes for each version. Each song is thereby worked through step by step until all contributions are in the computer. Now, the editing starts. From all the versions, the group selects the best parts. This can be a whole sentence, but sometimes only a single word. Floor is in the group. Her opinion is sought and is important. “Every band has their own dynamic but I never worked in such a professional environment”, the Dutchwoman commends. “The guys do exactly know how to communicate with a female vocalist”. The coordination runs smoothly, and the opposite side is also very satisfied. “It makes a big difference that our front woman for the first time joins the rehearsals”, says Marco. “Thus, all the ideas can be tested in advance and adjusted. In the meantime, the song takes shape. It is a ballad on the subject of “parents” with the working title ‘Dekkari’ (“detective story”). Floor can also do gently and Empuu Vuorinen surprises with Dire Straits-Sound. The always happy guitar player proudly presents his Stratocaster. According to Tero, the recordings are not intended for a demo but are directly used for the album. Spontaneity is trumps.

Audio samples & camp party
[…]
In the meantime, the guests are served several tasty audio samples in small groups. Both the Finnish and the German label enthusiastically spot several singles and are on the fence which song they like most. A classical Holopainen score with vigorous tempo and catchy melody might be suitable, which still is named after the old school men’s name ‘Alpo’. “Now we ultimately do Pirate Metal”, Marco is joking. Or should it be a stunner with the working title ‘Tutinaa’ (“shaker”)? The guitars are shredding, Floor is rocking the house. But also the fiercy headbanger with the code name ‘bitchcraft’ seems quite alluring at first glance. Floor sings with loose gravel on her vocal chords, and a whirling acoustic part, which Troy might still fill with his Bouzouki, gets caught in the ear. And then, there is still a folk rocker with celtic influence currently named ‘Waldo’ and infectious refrain as well as a clear edge marked by a surprising Sólstafir-Country-Moment. A big epic is not missing. But the tendency of the new album points towards more steeliness, more metal. Floors terrific, powerful and extremely versatile vocal art might be a reason for that. In any event, the vocalist 100% came across Nightwish at the first onset.

Troy meanwhile amazes the guests with his latest magical tricks. A coin seems to slide under a cell phone display. Cards wafting through the air as if by magic. These and other illusions keep the Englishman surrounded by a fascinated audience. Tuomas stays a bit distant from the party and is engrossed in intense conversations. “We are a band again at last”, the Finn is delighted. “Unbelievable how smooth and relaxed everything is going.” […]”

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #976 en: Diciembre 05, 2014, 04:15:27 pm »

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #977 en: Diciembre 05, 2014, 04:53:44 pm »
Eighth “making-of” album 2015 trailer (“London”) online!
In this episode the band is visiting the rainy city of London to record the choir, orchestral parts and percussions for their new album at Angel Studios. Check it out here: http://youtu.be/r0ivbQz3IGI
Commented NIGHTWISH keyboard player and main songwriter Tuomas Holopainen: “This must be the sixth or seventh time we’re working with these people. We’ve realized what they can do during these years. So it’s really not a surprise anymore but it hasn’t ceased to amaze me. The level of professionalism is just unbelievable. But even more importantly, they clearly like what they’re doing. The guys we’ve worked with for over 10 years are still up for it.”
Added session-drummer Kai Hahto: “The professionalism is amazing. We were recording ethnic percussion yesterday. Some of the guys had played on Star Wars movies – and done Hans Zimmer soundtracks. I thought of myself as a humppa drummer. It was pretty amazing. They know their prima vista. You give them the notation, and they’ll nail it in no time.”
NIGHTWISH also revealed the famed evolutionary biologist and atheist writer/leader Richard Dawkins as a guest on their eighth studio album.
Additionally the band announced their North American tour for April and May 2015. Check out all confirmed dates here:
09.04 USA New York, NY - Hammerstein Ballroom
10.04. USA Philadelphia, PA - Electric Factory
11.04. USA Worcester, MA - Palladium
13.04. CND Quebec City, QC - Capitole Theatre
14.04. CND Toronto - Phoenix Concert Theatre
16.04. USA Buffalo, NY - Town Ballroom
17.04. USA Cleveland, OH - Agora Theatre
18.04. USA Chicago, IL - Concorde Music Hall
19.04. USA Des Moines, IA - Val Air Ballroom
21.04. USA Denver, CO - Ogden Theatre
22.04. USA Salt Lake City, UT - In The Venue
24.04. USA Spokane, WA - Knitting Factory
25.04. CND Vancouver, BC - Orpheum Theatre
26.04. USA Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom
18.04. USA San Francisco, CA - Warfield Theatre
30.04. USA Las Vegas, NV - House Of Blues
01.05. USA Los Angeles, CA - Greek theatre
02.05. USA Phoenix, AZ - Marquee Theatre
03.05. USA El Paso, TX - Tricky Falls
05.05. USA Dallas, TX - Bomb Factory
06.05. USA Houston, TX - Warehouse Live
08.05. USA Orlando, FL - House Of Blues
09.05. USA Fort Lauderdale, FL - Revolution
11.05. USA Nashville, TN - Marathon Music Work
12.05. USA Louisville, KY - Expo Five
13.05. USA Charlotte, NC - Filmore
14.05. USA Silver Springs, MD - Filmore

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #978 en: Diciembre 08, 2014, 03:31:00 pm »

We are proud to announce the release of our first single called 'í‰lan', which will be out on February 13, 2015 via Nuclear Blast!

“Oh, while I live to be the ruler of life, Not a slave
To meet life as a powerful conqueror, and nothing exterior to me will ever take command of me.”

- Walt Whitman

Commented NIGHTWISH keyboardist and songwriter Tuomas Holopainen: “This beautiful quote from my hero Uncle Walt was the starting point for writing 'í‰lan'. The underlying theme of the song is nothing less than the meaning of life, which can be something different for all of us. It´s important to surrender yourself to the occasional 'free fall' and not to fear the path less travelled by. 'í‰lan' is a wonderful teaser for the full-length album, giving out a little taste, but revealing very little of the actual Journey of Grandeur to come…”

‘í‰lan’ tracklisting:

CD:
1. í‰lan (album version)
2. í‰lan (radio edit)
3. í‰lan (alternate version)
4. Sagan (non-album bonus track)

Vinyl:
Side A:
1. í‰lan (album version)
2. í‰lan (radio edit)
Side B
1. í‰lan (alternate version)
2. Sagan (non-album bonus track)

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #979 en: Diciembre 12, 2014, 03:19:59 pm »
Some tiny bit of info on the alternate version of í‰lan.
"It's an odd version, slightly twisted, ominuous, yet positive".

Considering the use of orchestral libraries and heavy sound processing, I think we can expect something very similar to the Imaginaerum score! Which is a good thing:)

And one thing we know now about í‰lan:There's harp in the intro of the song (or at least Petri used it heavily processed in the intro). The only song where Pip mentioned harp is the slow, gentle song. But of course it doesn't have to be that one since Pip's descriptions were very sparse and there could be harp in multiple songs. And a slow, gentle song as first single doesn't sound as a logical choice, because it's the first official release with Floor who's capable of doing very heavy stuff. And the picture from the set of the video clip also fits more to a heavier song

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #980 en: Diciembre 12, 2014, 03:31:02 pm »
There has been no lack of drama in Floor Jansen's recent years, the singer who got an urgent call for Nightwish's vocalist. Now, the turbulent phase is luckily behind her and the Dutch singer has found peace on the outskirts of Joensuu and in Nightwish's line-up. Jansen won't be seen much in North Karelia in the future, NW's tight schedule will make sure of that.

It is 12 o'clock and Floor Jansen walks to the lobby of a hotel in Helsinki. "Good morning, how are you?", she greets with fluent Finnish. According to Jansen's wish, we have made an appointment exactly at noon, which aptly indicates her rigid work morale to say the least. Singer's last night was spent on blue-white wings on the trip from the US to Finland.

Today Jansen knows the limits of her strength, but still a few years ago the situation was pretty different. She burned herself out under heavy workload and recovery took time – in fact, the recovery process was not completed when Nightwish contacted her.

Jansen's road into the limelight as the front-figure of the most popular Finnish band of all time has been challenging, eventfull and intriguing. At times, her belief in music has been put to the test, but always the right path has found.

Jansen's first well-known line-up, having released five studio albums, After Forever disbanded about five years ago, but Jansen did not remain idle: her own ReVamp band engaged her full-time, even too full-time.

Then, on a bright autumn day, a Finnish band contacted her.

When you were a child and a teenager, your family moved many times. What kind of memories do you have of those early years?

- The foremost memories are related to the frequent change of the places of living. Getting to know new people has never been the easiest thing for me, so moving felt unpleasant: just when I got new friends, we packed up our stuff and pulled up stakes. When I was young, I was on my own a lot, although my little sister and parents were always close.

- Moving had good sides too. I learned already as a child to adapt to new places and I realized that a home can be anywhere. When you feel comfortable and safe, you are at home anywhere in the world.

There is a photo on your website from 1983, where you pose with headphones. Music seemed to be a part of your life already at early stage.

- My parents were not musicians, but especially my father liked really much music. Santana, Sting, the Beatles and many others became familiar. I also remember vividly long breakfasts on Sunday mornings and classical music in the backround. My environment was absolutely positive towards music and my father also taught me some basics of guitar playing later.

What instruments can you play?

- I played flute for many years, so it is my strongest instrument. In some way sensible sounds I manage to produce with guitar, bass and piano.

And singing – How and when did you get interested in it?

- With a school musical based on Andrey Lloyd Webber's production. When I went to high school, they were searching willing people to implement a music project and I decided to participate in a singing test. I was selected for the two-year project and I learned quite a few new things during that period. At the same time I joined a school band and I also got to a real studio for the first time.

Was the premiere of the musical your first performance in front of a big audience?

- Yes, it was. I enjoyed enormously being on stage and I realized I found my thing. We had been practising hard for a long time, but still many other performers were vomitting due to anxiety before stepping on the stage. I wasn't nervous at all – on the contrary, my body was full of adrenaline and I wanted to show everyone what I could do. In this respect, I haven't changed at all, because I have always enjoyed performing.

- It was a really great time, since I had real, good friends – and then we moved! Mobile phones and the Internet were still making their way at the time, so communication with my musician friends was virtually impossible. In those days, I started to listen to more alternative music and I found artists such as The Doors, Janis Joplin, Nirvana and Pearl Jam. I felt that all students at my new school listen to some sort of house music and wear horrid clothes. I had Doc Martens', combat trousers, a band shirt and I dyed my hair with different shades. I looked insanely different than others.

Did your friends have records? Before the Internet era, finding new music might have been challenging.

- Fortunately, there was a good record shop nearby and I spent often hours there listening to various bands. One day I met a person who liked considerably heavier bands. Carcass and Slayer felt a bit too rough then, but for instance Machine Head, Pantera, Moonspell and Paradise Lost hit hard. Then, I heard The Gathering's Mandylion and I fell in love with the album from the bottom of my heart. Anneke van Giersbergen's brisk vocals and heavy guitars made a mind-boggling entity. If I had to choose the most impressive long-play to me, Mandylion would be it by far.

You have also told you were bullied at school.

- It was mental bullying – physical bullying or even violence are more boys' issue. Bullying was very tough at times and it took seven years in all. So sad memories still remain that I haven't called for class reunions much. Of course, I tried to discuss the matter with my teacher but s/he was unfortunately a spineless instance. It was unpleasant to go to school in the morning: when I shut the home door behind me, I was on my own.

It was 1997, when you joined the line-up of After Forever as sixteen years old. How did it happen?

- I heard an intriguing rumour that a metal band from my neighbourhood seeks a backing female vocalist. In those days, After Forever played death metal, but the male vocalist separated from the band only after a few weeks and at the same time the band made some checks for their music style. Then, I became the lead singer.

- AF's beginning was hard. I had an apprenticeship at a horse stall in another district. School and work week ended on Saturday afternoon, and then being totally exhausted I went to the band practice sessions. The band leaders, Sander Gommans and Mark Jansen, were extremely serious with the band, and I felt myself a bit outsider as I couldn't give everything for the band. In 1999, my plans changed: I got an admission to newly founded The Rock Academy in Tilburg and AF got a record deal. Suddenly, music became the center point in my life and I decided to make it my profession.

How do you feel today when listening to AF's first album 'Prison of Desire' released in 2000?

- I was an inexperienced singer and everyone in the band were inexperienced, so it is useless to listen to it with too critical ears or comparing it with the present state. The album was the image of those days and as such a very important part of my musical history. We should keep in mind that female singers in metal bands were quite rare at the time, and I am very proud of my pioneering status.

- I took my first singing lessons no earlier than after the recordings of 'Prison of Desire'. My teacher asked: "What do you want to learn exactly?". Well, I said: "I want to learn to sing". I wasn't really able to describe it more specifically. Until after gaining singing skills, I understood, what I should learn next.

What would you like to learn next?

- At least there is a lot to train and to digest at both extreme ends. For example, I am able to sing in an operatic way, but an expert certainly notices that I am not a real opera singer. It would be also very interesting to have deeper insight into the secrets of the death metal singing style.

From outsider's point of view, it seems that AF's career ended a bit suddenly in 2009.

- We had got a deal with Nuclear Blast and the band was taking off. Enough was eventually enough, and Sander Gommans who worked hard for the band had burnout. We weighted different alternatives: would we continue after a break or does the band have a future without Sander? About a year later, we realized that a collective flame was not blazing anymore. AF didn't feel the same 100 percent matter of the heart as before. The decision to discontinue was painful, but on the other hand, it would have been wrong both towards the fans and towards us to continue forcibly.

When AF was on hiatus, you founded a new project 'Sinh' with Norwegian guitarist Jí¸rn Viggo Lofstad (Pagan's Mind), though Sinh never released anything.

- I was feeling down at the time, because after ten years from the first record deal I was at the empty table again. I started working at a bookstore, because I needed money. After a while I decided to create a new band even though I knew it would put me to trouble, since raising a newcomer at least to a tolerable level needs enormous resources. I founded ReVamp in autumn 2009 and I started working also as a band manager. I was able to do it for some time, but in 2011 my strenght finally ran out and I had burnout.

- I liked to do everything related to ReVamp, but I didn't realize working too much, way too long. Finally, I had to admit to myself that figuratively I had been run over by a train. I noticed I was totally exhausted and I wanted to do nothing but lying at home. For example going to a grocery store was a big effort. I slept, slept, slept more, walked the dog, ate a bit, went to the bed again. Goddam, I was in the thirties, and I felt myself like a hundred years old.

How did your recovery start? How did you start to feel better?

- I didn't want to take medicine. What do you do when feeling tired? You rest. I tried to rest and was hoping the nwxt day will be better than this. Little later I went to the therapist, since I wanted answers to the questions: 'how did I end up to this situation?' and 'what can I do to avoid this in the future?'

- Slowly, I started to feel better and I began to think a possible future with music. Could I work as a full-time singing teacher and carry on a band career as a hobby? I was thinking and thinking... And then, I got a call, which I couldn't really expect.

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #981 en: Diciembre 13, 2014, 03:43:59 pm »
Segunda parte

You told before you enjoy performing and you don't feel nervous even in a hard situation. NW put you to quite a test instantly.

- NW's offer felt completely unbelievable: 'Hi, would you like be our touring vocalist?' When? Now!' It sounded wild, but for sure, I wasn't even considering saying no. Firstly, the timing was excelent, since as I said, I was seeking a new direction for my life. The most challenging was that I had to set off practically immediately for Seattle and learn structures, lyrics and vocal melodies of the NW songs in a plane on the way to the US.

- Fortunately I was familiar with some old NW songs, because I used to train myself among others with Oceanborn and Century Child albums. Instead, I was more unfamiliar with Imaginaerum, so I downloaded it in the first place – by the way, this about ten euro purchase from iTunes might have been the best investment in my life!

How did you feel just before the first performance with Nightwish?

- What's this gonna be? I don't even know, what I am doing! When the intro started pealing, I noticed to my horror, I didn't remember even that how the first song begins. Luckily it came back to mind on time... So the concert proceeded a song after song and at some instant it ended – I have pretty weak memory in this.

- It should be kept in mind that I was still recovering from burnout, when NW contacted me.  The first couple of NW gigs were extreme tests of resilience then... When I withstood the enormous pressure without breaking down, I recognized my healing was in good shape. It was a fantastic feeling.

You got glad tidings about the permanent post in NW after the Sauna Open Air festival gig in summer 2013.

- We gathered in the hotel lobby bar and the other band members asked me and Troy, if we were interested in joining the group permanently.

- Surely I had a presentiment that NW might ask such a question, but I didn't want to take any pressure from it. I would have become sad if had thought between the gigs that 'oh no, I try to enjoy now as much as possible, since soon this will end'. I also understood that NW must weight the matter precisely, since the band cannot change the vocalist constantly.

Now, you have left behind dozens of big gigs as well as the live packet Showtime, Storytime. Also, the recordings of the eight studio album have finished.

- I don't even try to be objective: NW's next album is the greatest I have ever done in music. Wait, actually it is the best album ever! I am sure the album raises NW to a new step again, as it is something... well, bigger and more special.

- I dreamt before the making of the album that with respect the to vocal lines, Tuomas would challenge me to the extremes and I would be allowed to use my voice as versatilely as possible. Well, I couldn't have received more in return to my wishes. Tuomas introduces the vocal lines he has thought by means of keyboard demos, so there is always room for vocalist's interpretation and ideas. We spent last summer in Rí¶skí¶, Kitee recording and arranging the songs and we examined different approaches. The whole band was often there and everyone could give an immediate response about the functioning of the ideas.

Evolutionary scientist Richard Dawkins is one of the guests on the album. This piece of news raised quite a storm of comments.

- The fiercest opinions – such as 'I will burn my NW discs' – came undeniably as a surprise. In the Internet, it's easy to shout harsh statements without thinking closely, but isn't it worth stopping for a moment before pressing the enter key.

- It should be clear to everyone that NW doesn't want to preach for one or another opinion. If we want something, it is to arouse thoughts – think and weight things and then form your opinion.

You know well that people draw drastic conclusions quickly.

- It is strange indeed that someone bothers to create a hate page in the Internet, because I don't have time to chat or take photos just with him or her after a concert, for example. Some people don't seem to understand in any way that sometimes there is no time for it.

You moved to Joensuu last summer. How did this decision arise?

- I started learning Finnish in spring 2013. During the same year, I visited to Finland several times for both working and vacationing. For example, autumn nature, colours of the trees etc. impressed me greatly then, and they still do. I also like winter and snow, although a snowy road brings challenges to someone who is used to drive a car in the Netherlands.

- Then, this year's spring came and I had to move in any case. I was thinking if I search for a new house in the Netherlands or pack my stuff and set off for Finland. Since all my visits to Finland had been very nice, the decision was finally easy. I also want to learn to speak Finnish fluently. I am not Finnish but I am becoming Finnish quickly. And it is great.

Which Finnish things have come as a surprise?

- At least Prisma and such big supermarkets! In the Netherlands, there are no shops where you can buy everything possible. I don't know if it is a real surprise but many Finns like to cook at home. For example, in the US, people are always eating out – and they call McDonald's a restaurant.

- You can live in Finland without liking to sauna, but it is a little difficult. Fortunately I love saunaing and during the NW summer camp I saunaed a lot. A hot lakeside sauna, a twilight summer night, warm water... There is something in it.

What ReVamp's future looks like?

- There are no plans with ReVamp. Naturally, NW gets all my attention and I don't want be engaged to anything else. I would be also unfair towards the other members of ReVamp if we established intentions that won't come true. If there is something I have learned in recent years, it is that the most important thing is that I won't crave too much anymore. I don't really know if I want straight to a new rat race again – I mean, to start making a new ReVamp album and plan a tour – after NW's next world tour. I love ReVamp but to continue with the band, we must find a suitable time.

- Despite, we have to remember in the midst of all this awesomeness, there is more in life than the recording sessions and tours.

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #982 en: Diciembre 17, 2014, 04:19:10 pm »

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #983 en: Diciembre 17, 2014, 05:14:36 pm »
The mix of our new album is finished! These hard working guys are ready for a deserved Christmas break after mixing every note on this challenging epos! Give it up for Tuomas, Mikko Karmilla and Tero Kinnunen!!

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #984 en: Diciembre 21, 2014, 06:28:01 pm »
'He`s doing better now, and still is the driving force behind the band`s economics and merchandise.'   :)

Jukka está mejor!

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #985 en: Diciembre 22, 2014, 04:14:37 pm »

Presenting Endless Forms Most Beautiful-  March 27th (EU), 30th (UK) and 31st (US) Endless Forms Most Beautiful features eleven new songs.

Standard CD
Digibook (incl. instrumental CD)
2LP (vinyl in gatefold) in different colours
Earbook (incl. instrumental and orchestral CD)
Earbook (deluxe version incl. bonus vinyl)
Download

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #986 en: Diciembre 25, 2014, 04:44:51 pm »
Tuomas cumple hoy 38 años!!!
FELICIDADES!!!! :011: :011: :011: :011: :011:

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #987 en: Diciembre 27, 2014, 08:22:18 pm »
Info sobre el video

Finnish veteran actress Seela Sella on Finnish radio today. She told that she and a few fellow actors like Vesa Vierikko and Antti Litja will be featuring on NW video. She was still genuinely really excited about the video shooting day and jokingly added that she must be at the peak of her career at the age of 78. She praised the whole band and said half seriously that  the actors had told the band they'll be in front row when NW play in Finland again.

Y una imagen

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #988 en: Diciembre 29, 2014, 04:31:59 pm »

Serena

• Moderador
« Respuesta #989 en: Enero 03, 2015, 04:13:18 pm »
Kai Hahto - Who Else?

A half a year ago Hahto had worked with two Finnish internationally distinguished metal composers. One day the name Tuomas Holopainen was added alongside with Juha Raivio and Jari Mí¤enpí¤í¤. Kaitsu had saved Nightwish from trouble and the reaction of the ones who knew him was just about the same as the title of this interview.

It was one morning in June, when Kai Hahto received a message demanding his immediate attention. The message came from Jukka Nevalainen, Nightwish-drummer and the front man of Scene Nation, the company handling the bands business side of the band. Hahto calls the message "emergency call".
-I've known Jukka for years and I sensed everything wasn't right. I knew about his insomnia and now I heard it had become unbearable. Jukka hadn't slept in two weeks at that point and he wanted to go to Koli to relax.

Nevalainen was worried about his health and his family's future. He was also afraid he couldn't give his 100% on the upcoming album.
-The stakes were high. I felt Jukka's anxiety and eventually it was easy to accept his plan-after I first checked my wife's opinion. This is how we work, my wife takes care of the things back home and our two sons.

The making of Nightwish's 8th album was already irreversibly far and Hahto had promised to be a substitute if Jukka's condition didn't improve. Soon he got the demos and started waiting for a word from Jukka.
-At that time, luckily, there was still time for the start off the recording sessions, so I had the time to focus on the material-if the worst should happen. For awhile it seemed like everything would turn out to be fine and I was all ready prepared to go to the studio as technician again. Like I did with Dark Passion Play and Imagenaerum. To tune the drums, to make sure the sounds are fine.

But what happened then?
​-I received another phone call from Jukka. He asked, how soon I could get to Kitee to record the drum parts. His trip to Koli went great, but when he returned back home, the problems started again. I cancelled some of my drum classes and a few shows and started preparing.

The sessions started one Monday and Hahto noticed that several tracks had changed a bit. He started writing every song. How does a man, Meshuggah's Toma Haake once called "monster", work?
-I acted like classical musician, since you can make changes to the notes, if you feel you have to. I didn't have any choices, since the material is that complex at times. The last song is more than 20 minutes and there was a lot to learn. I learned 11 songs during Tuesday and Wednesday and we did a production demo on Thursday.

The next week Hahto played a show in Vaasa with his jazz-band Max on The Rocks and also played on Summer Breeze-festival with Wintersun. Luckily he managed to squeeze in a couple of days off as well.
-I hadn't played with Wintersun in a year, so three -day rehearsals (before Summer Breeze) were necessary. That show went well eventually. There was a car waiting for me in Helsinki-Vantaa airport when I got back on Sunday. The next day we started preparing in Rí¶skí¶. We jammed the material for a couple of days and refined couple of arrangements. We started recording on Thursday-evening and my parts were done at Saturday evening.

Hahto did a big favor for Nightwish, because that week was all ready booked for recording the drums. Because of his professionalism and ability to adapt, they didn't have to alter their schedules.
-Everyone had a nice, spirited attitude since the day one. We decided that we will go through this together.

Even if they didn't go public with it, Hahto had already accepted a post as their live drummer on the upcoming world tour. So his plans for next two years were changed.
-The deal was that Jukka would call me if he felt he couldn't go on the road. And that's what happened.

Different shapes of Metal

Nightwish is the latest chapter for Hahto, born in Vaasa in the year 1973. He is known as a drummer of power/progmetal-band Wintersun and from Swallow the Sun, a band combining death, doom and progmetal. It's widely known how much Hahto has sacrificed especially on the first of those two bands. More unknown detail is that when the pioneer and flagship of Finnish powermetal, Stratovarius, were searching for a new drummer in autumn 2011, the first call made was to Hahto.
-I like the guys in Stratovarius very much, but I'd had to make Stratovarius my top priority immediately. During that time there were things happening in Wintersun. And there is the musical balance.I don't say Stratovarius isn't an important band for me, but I feel I'm more connected to Nightwish's music on the emotional level. It would have been wrong for me and the guys of Stratovarius, if I'd done that negligently. Luckily they found Rolf Pilve instead, he's a great drummer and deserves his spot on that level.

When the offer from Nightwish came, he didn't want to refuse, because his schedules were more open and he got the chance to do "great music with great people" as Kai puts it.
-When I talked to Jukka, I started thinking maybe I should think more about myself and my family.

The thing comes to perspective, if we check how the massive, still unfinished Time double album, has been finishing.
-My son was three months old, when we started. Now he is in second grade! Even if I love Wintersun, I started playing with Swallow the Sun partly, because the pace with Wintersun is so slow.I also like Juha Raivio as a person and songwriter very much. I always go heart first to music and I couldn't do something I really don't enjoy. I've listened to Nightwish a long time and I like the band. So you don't have to fake, just enjoy playing.

Jari Mí¤enpí¤í¤ was  the next person Hahto called to inform about Nightwish's offer.
-Wintersun is in a tough spot with labels and funding and when Jari said there was nothing happening in about a year, probably, I felt I didn't have obligations to wait. Let's see how that new crowdfunding idea works.

Hahto says he has turned down some offers because of Wintersun and that he often thinks about their interest. He wants to believe their luck will change.
-Jari has his visions, which don't necessarily meat with my visions, but time will tell what happens. With Nightwish everything is clear, so I have to put my mind to it completely, trust it and think positive.

To conclude, Hahto add why Wintersun has had such a rocky road
-Band has toured very little. We missed that clubstage, we went straight to bigger venues and we didn't grow a nme touring all over US in a van. I don't say that's a bad thing, but I sometimes stumble across things that are familiar to me, but for the rest of the band. When you are on the road expectations and reality don't always meet.

It's easy to compare with Swallow the Sun, who's seen it all, but Hahto stalls a bit.
-You have to give credit for StS. The worked hard for their success-not saying that Wintersun hadn't, but it has been very different with label support between the two bands.